1.19 - So Much For Being An Unproblematic Main Character

"Hello, Jane," Medea said, looking at the dark haired woman on the other end of the Iris Message.  The woman seemed to be on the phone with someone else, but after hearing Medea's greeting,'Jane' hung up the phone calmly.

"How can I help you, ma'am?" She asks Medea, before turning to look at another member of our group. "Hello, Piper." 

I looked back and forth between Piper and the woman. How in Hades do they know each other? "You–" Piper started, glaring at the woman.

"Yes, child," Medea said, giving Piper a sly look. "Your father's assistant." Well at least I know who she is now. "Quite easy to manipulate. An organized mind for a mortal, but incredibly weak."

"Thank you, ma'am," Jane said. I wanted to laugh at this hypnotized lady's blindness to the insult she receive. If Leo wasn't practically high himself he would've laughed about it too.

"Don't mention it," Medea said, acting as if she had just said the kindest thing in the world. Idiot. "I just wanted to congratulate you, Jane. Getting Mr. McLean to leave town so suddenly, take his jet to Oakland without alerting the press or the police—well done! No one seems to know where he's gone. And telling him his daughter's life was on the line—that was a nice touch to get his cooperation."

Wow, Medea's a bit of a b-

"Yes," Jane agreed in a bland tone, she currently sounded like either a sleep walking robot. Have I mentioned that I want to leave and not be surrounded by idiots? Really? Well it's still true. "He was quite cooperative when he believed Piper was in danger." Well that was sly.

Piper looked down at her dagger,  the blade shaking in her hand. I glanced at Leo and Jason, trying to assess the situation. If Piper's dad was involved then this just got a whole lot harder to deal with.

      "I may have new orders for you, Jane," Medea says, and I try to listen carefully. "If the girl cooperates, it may be time for Mr. McLean to come home. Would you arrange a suitable cover story for his absence, just in case? And I imagine the poor man will need some time in a psychiatric hospital."

      "Yes, ma'am. I will stand by." Jane said, before the IM faded away, and Medea turned to Piper.

      "There, you see?" She says, acting as if all of Piper's problems are solved. Newsflash, lady: nobody likes you. Well, except for Leo, Jason, and Jane right now, but they're hypnotized so I don't think that counts.

      "You lured my dad into a trap," Piper said. "You helped the giant–" Hold on, giant?

      "Oh, please, dear. You'll work yourself into a fit! I've been preparing for this war for years, even before I was brought back to life. I'm a seer, as I said. I can tell the future as well as your little oracle. Years ago, still suffering in the Fields of Punishment, I had a vision of the seven in your so-called Great Prophecy. I saw your friend Leo here, and saw that he would be an important enemy someday. I stirred the consciousness of my patron, gave her this information, and she managed to wake just a little—just enough to visit him."

      My jaw dropped. "Leo's mother..." I whispered under my breath, the wheels turning in my head. I cursed under my breath in Greek, my body turning to Leo. "Leo, she helped get your mother killed!"

      For a moment, just a singular moment, he looked back. Not Medea's hypnotism, just him. But just as soon as it came, it was gone. "Uh-huh," Leo mumbled, frowning at his hammer. He turned away from me, looking at Medea again. "So...I just attack Jason? That's okay?"

      "Perfectly safe," Medea promised, and I rolled my eyes. "And Jason, strike him hard. Show me you are worthy of your namesake."

      ηλίθιοι.