2.2- Roman Feasts Rock

So apparently the Romans weren't just good at city building. They knew how to eat too. There were sets of couches and low tables were carted into the forum and Romans lounged in groups of ten or twenty, talking and laughing while wind spirits —aurae—swirled overhead, bringing an endless assortment of pizzas, sandwiches, chips, cold drinks, and fresh-baked cookies.

It was amazing. I sat between Percy and Leo, savoring the fact that I was near my brother again. Percy had whispered something in Annabeth's ear, before turning to talk to me. He eyed the arm that Leo had around my waist suspiciously, looking my boyfriend up and down.

"So, Perce..." I said awkwardly. "This is Leo, my boyfriend." I said, and I watched his face fall into a frown.

I gave him a look that said 'be nice', and watched him reach a hand out to Leo.

"Hurt her and I kill you." Percy said plainly, causing me to roll my eyes at him.

"He wouldn't actually kill me, would he?" Leo whispered, and I pretended not to hear him. "Lara that's not funny."

I giggled, placing my hand on his leg. "Don't let Percy scare you." I whispered. "He's not scary."

Percy enthusiastically told Annabeth and I about New Rome, and I could tell Annie was feeling weird about something. I examined the tattoo on his arm, nudging him.

"Mom's going to kill you." I whispered, grinning.

Percy's face paled, as if imagining the wrath of Sally Jackson. He then turned back to talk to Annabeth. "I've been thinking," he said nervously. "I had this idea—"

He stopped as Reyna called a toast to friendship. After introductions all around, the Romans and Annabeth's crew began exchanging stories. Jason explained how he'd arrived at Camp Half-Blood without his memory, and how we'd gone on a quest with Piper and Leo to rescue Hera (or Juno, she was just as bad in both forms).

"Impossible!" Octavian broke in when he heard that we had gone to the Wolf House. "That's our most sacred place. If the giants had imprisoned a goddess there—"

"They would've destroyed her," Piper said. "And blamed it on the Greeks, and started a war between the camps. Now, be quiet and let Jason finish." Octavian opened his mouth, but no sound came out. I love Piper's charmspeak. Reyna seemed to just be realizing that Piper and Jason were together, and I could tell that she wasn't to excited about that fact.

"So," Jason continued, "that's how we found out about the earth goddess Gaea. She's still half asleep, but she's the one freeing the monsters from Tartarus and raising the giants. Porphyrion, the big leader dude we fought at the Wolf House: he said he was retreating to the ancient lands—Greece itself. He plans on awakening Gaea and destroying the gods by...what did he call it? Pulling up their roots." Percy nodded beside us.

"Gaea's been busy over here, too. We had our own encounter with Queen Dirt Face." Percy recounted his side of the story. He talked about waking up at the Wolf House with no memories except for one name—Annabeth. I'm not offended or anything just because that's so cute.

Percy told us how he'd traveled to Alaska with Frank and Hazel—how they'd defeated the giant Alcyoneus, freed the death god Thanatos, and returned with the lost golden eagle standard of the Roman camp to repel an attack by the giants' army. When Percy had finished, Jason whistled appreciatively.

"No wonder they made you praetor." Octavian snorted. "Which means we now have three praetors! The rules clearly state we can only have two!"

"On the bright side," Percy said, "both Jason and I out rank you, Octavian. So we can both tell you to shut up." Octavian turned as purple as a Roman T-shirt. Jason gave Percy a fist bump. I laughed... audibly.