1.22 - Why'd the Reaper of Men Have To Be So Hot?

It took all four of us to hold back the satyr.

      "Whoa, Coach!" Jason said. "Bring it down a few notches."

      A younger man charged into the room. He wore pajama pants with a sleeveless T-shirt that said CORNHUSKERS, and he had a very terrifying looking sword.

      I'mma be completely honest, he was lowkey hot. I mean not as attractive to me as Leo but- hot.

      I pulled out my sword quickly, not wanting to risk anything with this guy here. 'Lit', as the old guy called him, had ripped arms that were covered in scars, and curly dark hair, his face, despite being incredibly hot, was incredibly sliced up with scars as well.

      Lit immediately zeroed in on Jason and stalked toward him, swinging his sword overhead. I stepped in front of my brother, getting my sword ready to block him.

      "Hold on!" Piper stepped forward, trying for her best calming voice. "This is just a misunderstanding! Everything's fine."

      Lit stopped in his tracks, but he still looked at the two if us warily. Hedge wasn't helping, screaming. "I'll get them! Don't worry!"

      "Coach," Jason pleaded, "they may be friendly."

      "Also, you do realize that we are trespassing in their house." I piped up, and the old man nodded.

      "Thank you!"

      "Now, who are you and why are you here?"

      "Let's all put our weapons down," Piper said. "Coach, you first." I didn't listen to Piper, still eyeing the older teen warily.

      Coach clenched his jaw. "Just one thwack?"

      "No," Piper said.

      "What about a compromise? I'll kill them first, and if it turns out they were friendly, I'll apologize."

      "No!" Piper insisted.

      "Meh." Coach Hedge lowered his club.

      Piper gave Lit a friendly smile, and Jason looked at her jealously.

      Lit huffed and sheathed his sword. "You speak well, girl—fortunately for your friends, or I would've run them through."

      I raised my eyebrows, scoffing. "Not if I ran you through first." I said, turning my sword back into a necklace.

      "Appreciate it," Leo said, stepping closer to me. "I try not to get run through before lunchtime."

      The old man in the bathrobe sighed, kicking a smashed teapot.

      "Well, since you're here. Please, sit down." I wasn't so sure I wanted to sit down.

      Lit frowned. "Your Majesty—" Lit apparently wasn't sure either.

      "No, no, it's fine, Lit," the old man said. "New land, new customs. They may sit in my presence. After all, they've seen me in my nightclothes. No sense observing formalities." He did his best to smile, though it looked a little forced. "Welcome to my humble home. I am King Midas."

      Oh, you've got to be kidding me.

      "Midas? Impossible," said Coach Hedge. "He died."

      "So did a lot of people, Coach, but apparently they don't remember that part." I snapped, rolling my eyes.

      We all sat on the sofas while the king reclined on his throne, Leo wrapping his arm around my back protectively.