1.21 - Leo And I Did A Thing

I know that I say I'm thankful for Leo Valdez a lot, but to be honest we would've died five times on the way inside if it wasn't for him. First, there was a motion-activated trapdoor on the sidewalk, then there were lasers on the steps, then a nerve gas dispenser on the porch railing, then pressure-sensitive poison spikes in the welcome mat, and of course there was an exploding doorbell. You know, the usual.

Leo, the genius that he is, was able to deactivate all of them.

"Leo Valdez, you are simply amazing." I said from my place next to him.

Leo scowled as he examined the front door lock. "Yeah, amazing," he said sarcastically. "Can't fix a dragon right, but I'm amazing."

Jason frowned. "Hey, that wasn't your—"

"Front door's already unlocked," Leo announced, causing Piper to stare at the door in disbelief.

"It is? All those traps, and the door's unlocked?"

Leo turned the knob. The door swung open. He stepped inside, leading me in behind him. Jason and Piper stayed back a moment, and I nudged Leo.

"I'm sorry again... about Festus."

"It's whatever, hermosa, it wasn't your fault." Leo mumbled.

"Well it wasn't yours either." I said, turning to face him. "You can't blame yourself for what happened to Festus... you can blame the insane security system, but not yourself." He stared at me, but didn't respond. "Look, I know you, and I know how you think, so pay attention when I say this." I took a step closer, moving his head down so he could look at me. "You are Leo Valdez, you are  my best friend, and you are not responsible for what happened to Festus."

It was only after I finished that sentence that I realized how close Leo and I's faces were. I could feel his breath on my face.

"Where's the light switch?"

Leo and I jumped, turning to see Jason and Piper walk in. We moved away from each other awkwardly.

The house was giant. It's close to how I imagine the White House. Jason's voice echoed alarmingly through the room.

"Don't see one," Leo said, and I blushed. Oh gods above, Lara, keep your stupid teenage hormones at rest.

"Fire?" Piper suggested.

Leo held out his hand, but nothing happened. "It's not working."

"Why in Hades would your fire be out?" I wondered aloud.

"Well, Lara, if I knew that—" Leo shot at me, and I raised my hands up in defense.

"Okay, okay," I said, my cheeks still heated.

"What do we do—explore?" Piper asked, and Leo and I both shook our heads.

"After all those traps outside? Bad idea." Leo said.

All part of the absolute joy of being a demigod.

"Leo's right," Jason said. "We're not separating again—not like in Detroit."

"Oh, thank you for reminding me of the Cyclopes." Piper whimpered. "I needed that."

"It's a few hours until dawn," Jason guessed. "Too cold to wait outside. Let's bring the cages in and make camp in this room. Wait for daylight; then we can decide what to do."

Jason's idea was smart, and none of us had any better ideas, so we rolled in the cages with Coach Hedge and the storm spirits, then settled in.