1.11 - Poor Leo

Out of all the places that Festus had to land, it was in a line of Porta-Potties.

       My ankle was killing me and I had my arm around Leo for support. He kept one arm gripped around my waist to keep me supported, and I was honestly surprised, since Leo wasn't usually the strongest person I know. (Okay that sounded mean, but he loves me so oh well.)

       My ankle hurt. Now, don't get me wrong, that fall definitely didn't cause the worst pain I've been through. Far from it, in fact... I can still remember the day I got stabbed in the side by Luke Castellan, someone I had thought we could trust. I pushed the thoughts out of my head, as Leo and I climbed over the wreckage carefully.

       Leo sighed. "Not my fault," he muttered, obviously thinking to himself. "Festus, you're making me look bad." I helped Leo open the control panel on the dragon's head, and I squeezed his hand, as he looked positively heartbroken. "Oh, Festus, what the hell?"

       The wiring was frozen over, and I couldn't help but feel bad for Leo. This was his creation... "I'm sorry..." I mumbled, squeezing his hand again.

       Leo accessed the damage as I shivered in the cold. "Right," Leo eventually muttered. "Gimme a nylon bristle detail brush, some nitrile gloves, and maybe a can of that aerosol cleaning solvent."

       Leo's tool belt listened. I leaned down, going to sit on the cold metal so that Leo could work. He helped me get to the ground, and I looked up at him frowning. "Sorry I can't be of more help..." I apologized softly.

       "You broke your foot, Lara, how is that your fault?" Leo scoffed as he started to clean the control disk.

       We continued sitting there for a little while in a slightly awkward silence. I watched as Leo did his thing, very impressed. There's a huge difference between electricity and electronics, and I had learned that the hard way.

       "Enough, Valdez," I heard Leo mutter under his breath. "Nobody's going to play any violins for you just because you're not important. Fix the stupid dragon."

       "Leo..." I said, hoisting myself up. "Of course you're important." I mumbled, wrapping my arms around him. "You're my best friend..."

       She's right, Leo, a voice said, causing me to jump.

       Leo dropped his brush, and I unhooked myself from him, turning around quickly. I couldn't see anyone at first, until I looked at the ground. It was shifting, like it was made of liquid, and quickly formed a face in the ground. A giant face of a sleeping woman.

       She wasn't sleeping, but I could hear her voice in my head, and I could tell Leo had too, seeing as she spoke to him.

       They need you desperately, the woman's voice said. In some ways, you are the most important of the eight- like the control disk in the dragon's brain. WIthout you, the power of the others means nothing. They will never reach me, never stop me. And I will fully wake.

       "You." Leo said, shaking. I looked at him worriedly, gripping his hand. "You killed my mom." Leo's words left me breathless, and I looked between the two in shock. She killed his mother?

       The face shifted, forming a sleepy smile that scared the heck out of me. Ah, but Leo. I am your mother too- the First Mother. Do not oppose me. Walk away now, the both of you. Let my son Porphyrion rise and become king, and I will ease your burdens. You will tread lightly on the earth.

       "You're psycho..." I mumbled, as Leo grabbed a Porta-Potty seat and chucked it at the face.

       "Leave me alone!" He yelled. The toilet seat sank into the liquid earth, and the face dissolved. Leo stared at the ground, when suddenly we heard a large clang.

      Walk away now, the voice urged.

       "Not likely," Leo growled, hoisting my arm around his back so I'd be supported. "Gimme the biggest hammer you got," he said, grabbing it out of his tool belt as we ran towards the warehouse.

       Here we go again.