2.5- Narcissus Is a Real Pain in the Ass

"Are you okay?" Leo whispered, squeezing my hand. "I know Nemesis was a lot and—"

"I'm fine." I said tightly, my face void of any emotion. Leo raised an eyebrow, probably doubting that, but decided not to press the issue.

We walked in an uncomfortable silence, until Hazel asked. "Who's Aunt Rosa?"

Leo went rigid, and took a moment before finally answering. "Long story," he said. "She abandoned me after my mom died, gave me to foster care."

"I'm sorry."

"Yeah, well..." Leo trailed off, looking fairly anxious. "What about you? What Nemesis said about your brother?"

Hazel blinked like she'd gotten salt in her eyes. "Nico...he found me in the Underworld. He brought me back to the mortal world and convinced the Romans at Camp Jupiter to accept me. I owe him for my second chance at life. If Nemesis is right, and Nico's in danger...I have to help him."

"We're saving Nico." I said, my voice firm. "I'm not letting something happen to him."

"Sure," Leo said, turning to look at me before looking back at Hazel. "And what Nemesis said about your brother having six days to live, and Rome getting destroyed...any idea what she meant?"

"None," Hazel admitted. "But I'm afraid..." Whatever she was thinking, she decided not to share it. She climbed one of the largest boulders to get a better view. Leo tried to follow and lost his balance. Hazel caught his hand. She pulled him up and they found themselves atop the rock, holding hands, face-to-face.

I stared at them from below the rock, watching as they stared into each other's eyes. I was pissed. The day was proving to be a bad one, and I didn't have the mental stability to watch my boyfriend have a moment with another girl.

       "Um, thanks." Leo finally said, letting go of her hand but still staring at her. I took that as my cue to climb on the rock, staring at the two with what I hoped was an annoyed face. You ever just want to break down... 'cause like same.

"When we were talking to Nemesis," Hazel said uneasily, glancing at me as if she just realized she had been staring into my boyfriend's eyes, "your hands...I saw flames."

"Yeah," he said. "It's a Hephaestus power. Usually I can keep it under control." He said bitterly, glancing at my face, which I tried to cover with my hair self-consciously.

"Oh." She put one hand protectively on her denim shirt, like she was about to say the Pledge of Allegiance.

There was silence after that, and Leo stared across the island for a moment before turning to me, putting an arm across my shoulders. He dipped his head to my ear, quickly whispering, "As soon as we get back on that boat we need to talk..."

I nodded. Leo and I may not be having our best moment right now, but we still thought pretty similarly. We had a lot of issues right now, and we obviously needed to rant to each other about what's happening. That was one thing I loved about Leo. He wouldn't just ignore the problem and let us pretend it didn't exist. He cared.

"Leo, Elara?" Hazel asked gently. "You can't take what Nemesis said to heart."

Leo frowned. "What if it's true?"

"She's the goddess of revenge," Hazel reminded him. "Maybe she's on our side, maybe not; but she exists to stir up resentment."

"We should keep going," I said, purposefully changing the subject. "I wonder what Nemesis meant about finishing before dark."