1.33- More Random Deep Thoughts

I want to make it clear that I love and trust my boyfriend VERY much. But the chaotic idea to let him fly a helicopter was slightly unnerving. The good thing is that he was a Hephaestus kid, and I knew that he could almost definitely do it.

I sat in the copilots seat, leaning against Leo's chair. I was exhausted from the day, and could hardly believe that the sun was already setting.

"Everything going good?" Piper called from behind us.

"Peachy," I mumbled tiredly.

"Aces," Leo said. "So what's the Wolf House?" Jason came kneel between our seats. "An abandoned mansion in the Sonoma Valley. A demigod built it—Jack London."

I knew who Jack London was. Leo, however, didn't.

"He an actor?"

"Writer," I corrected. "He did stuff like Call of the Wild and White Fang."

"Yeah," Jason confirmed. "He was a son of Mercury—I mean, Hermes. He was an adventurer, traveled the world. He was even a hobo for a while. Then he made a fortune writing. He bought a big ranch in the country and decided to build this huge mansion—the Wolf House."

"Named that 'cause he wrote about wolves?" Leo guessed.

"Partially," Jason said. "But the site, and the reason he wrote about wolves—he was dropping hints about his personal experience. There're a lot of holes in his life story—how he was born, who his dad was, why he wandered around so much—stuff you can only explain if you know he was a demigod."

"So Jack London went to Camp Half-Blood," Leo guessed.

"No," I said, shaking my head. I would know for a fact if he had been there. "No, he didn't."

"Jason, bro, you're freaking me out with the mysterious talk. Are you remembering your past or not?" Leo exclaimed, rolling his eyes. I stifled a giggle.

"Pieces," Jason said. "Only pieces. None of it good. The Wolf House is on sacred ground. It's where London started his journey as a child—where he found out he was a demigod. That's why he returned there. He thought he could live there, claim that land, but it wasn't meant for him. The Wolf House was cursed. It burned in a fire a week before he and his wife were supposed to move in. A few years later, London died, and his ashes were buried on the site."

"So," Piper said, "how do you know all this?"

"Yeah, that's a really good question." I added, readjusting myself in my chair.

"I started my journey there too," Jason said. "It's a powerful place for demigods, a dangerous place. If Gaea can claim it, use its power to entomb Hera on the solstice and raise Porphyrion—that might be enough to awaken the earth goddess fully."

I did not like those words. Those were words that sent chills down my spine. It must've been obvious, because Leo kept one hand on the joystick, and moved the other to rest on my thigh. I moved my hand down to rest on his, and busied myself with playing with his fingers.

There was a storm up ahead of us, and it was not helping with my anxiety. So, I just focused on Leo. It wasn't until he spoke that I realized his mind was on more than it seemed as well.

"Lara?" He said softly, after checking to make sure Jason and Piper couldn't hear us. They were too occupied in their own relationship nonsense.

"Yeah, Leo..."

"Piper's dad called me... a hero..." he paused, as if searching for the right words. "Do you- do you think I'm a hero?"

I turned to face him, a frown on my face.

"Leo Valdez, of course you're a hero." I exclaimed. "I mean did you see the things that you've done during this quest?"

"B-but I'm just Leo Valdez." He stuttered. "Leo Valdez, the orphaned kid from Houston."

"Leo of course you're a hero... only a hero would be willing to do the insane things that you did."

There was silence at that, like Leo was thinking about what I was saying. Then there was a response that made my heart break.

"Or someone who doesn't have anything to go back to."

"Leo—"

"No, Lara, I'm serious. After this quest is over I'm not going to have any happy reunions. I won't be going back to a big happy loving family. I-I won't see my mom."

My heart crumbled, and I wanted nothing more than to wrap the boy in a hug and run my fingers through his curls.

"You have me." I said softly. I leaned over, wrapping my arms around his neck and pressing a kiss to his cheek. As to keep the helicopter from crashing, I moved my arms and moved my head so that I was laying in his lap, looking up at him. "Leo Valdez, you will always have me."

"God, I love you Elara Jackson." He said with a soft smile, wiping the remnants of tears from his eyes. He focused on flying the helicopter, and soon called out, "Thirty minutes out. If you want to get some rest, now's a good time."

I heard Jason and Piper settle down together behind us. I simply stayed where I was laying, looking up at my boyfriend with a grin.

"You should sleep, hermosa." Leo said softly, running his free hand through my hair.

"I don't wanna leave you alone." I said softly.

"I'll be fine, mi amor." He said, smiling. "Please, sleep."

And so I did... until I was woken up again by a storm.