1.2 - So... The Massive Jerk Is Also A Monster

"This can't be safe." Leo said, squinting at the clouds. "Storm's right over us, but it's clear all the way around. Weird, huh?"

       I looked at the sky warily.  A dark circle of clouds had parked itself over the skywalk, but the rest of the sky in every direction was perfectly clear. I had a really bad feeling about it.

       "All right, cupcakes!" Coach Hedge yelled. He frowned at the storm like it bothered him too. Being a satyr, I'm sure he could smell trouble, and I debated over going there and talking to him myself.

       "We may have to cut this short, so get to work! Remember, complete sentences!"  The storm rumbled, and my head started hurting. I instinctively grabbed my necklace, knowing that if i needed to, a simple yank would pull it into a sword... fun party trick.

       I glanced at Leo and Jason, turning to them. "I'll be back in a few..." I said, walking over to Hedge. He glanced at me, and I crossed my arms. "We need to talk, satyr." I said, saying the last word quietly.

       He grunted in approval. "They said you were smart, Jackson. I wasn't sure if you were on to me."

       "They?" I asked skeptically.

       "Chiron, the other campers, who do you think?" He scoffed. "You're not the only one wary of this storm?"

       "I'm his daughter." I said, rolling my eyes and gesturing to the sky. "If anyone knows a normal thunderstorm it's me. I wouldn't be surprised if blondie over there had something to do with it." I said, gesturing to Jason.

       "Thank the gods, someone sees through the Mist." He said, leaning on his baseball bat as Jason walked over to us. "Did you do this?" Coach asked him, and he took a step back.

       "Do what?" Jason asked, and I rolled my eyes. What else would he mean? This kid must really be slow.

       Coach Hedge glared at him, his beady eyes glinting under the brim of his cap. "Don't play games with me, kid. What are you doing here and why are you messing up my job?" 

       "You mean...you don't know me?" Jason said, sounding relieved. "I'm not one of your students?"

       "Of course we don't know you." I exclaimed, rolling my eyes. "I've never even seen you before today." Part of me was slightly annoyed at the kid, as I had clearly stated I didn't know him multiple times, but I tried to let it go.

       "Look, sir, I don't know how I got here. I just woke up on the school bus. All I know is I'm not supposed to be here." 

       "Got that right." Hedge's voice dropped to a murmur, like he was sharing a secret. "You got a powerful way with the Mist, kid, if you can make all these people think they know you; but you can't fool me. I've been smelling monster for days now. I knew we had an infiltrator, but you don't smell like a monster. You smell like a half-blood. So who are you, and where'd you come from?"

       "Hedge..." I spoke up. "What if he's not the only one here? I mean counting whatever halfblood you're here to save-"

       "Halfbloods." He corrected me, and I raised my eyebrows. "Two of them."

       "Gods, that's even worse," I cursed. Demigods were great monster magnets, so the more that were together at once... "But what I'm saying is," I continued, "with me, those two, and Jason here... this is a monster buffet."

       Jason sighed. "I don't know who I am. I don't have any memories. You've got to help me." 

       Coach Hedge studied his face like he was trying to read Jason's thoughts.  "Great," Hedge muttered. "You're being truthful."