2.14 - Percy Saves Us From the Anemic Idiot

We didn't make it to the ship. We were able to run halfway across the deck before three giant eagles landed in front of us, blocking our path. Each eagle dropped off a Roman soldier in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

It was Octavian. He looked absolutely idiotic in his giant Roman armor. "Surrender to Rome!" He shrieked. More like squealed.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

       Normally, Octavian wouldn't have bothered me, seeing as he seemed to have the fighting skills of a two year old, but the two other guys looked like seasoned warriors—a lot bigger and stronger than I had the energy to fight right now, especially since Piper and Annabeth were armed only with daggers and I seemed to be one of the only people with a sword.

        Piper raised her hands in a gesture that looked like she was trying to make peace. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

        "Can't hear you!" Octavian taunted. "Wax in our ears—standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

      The sky rumbled softly, and I fought the urge to deck him right then and there. "Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

      The ship was only fifty feet away, but I couldn't see anyone on deck. The boys weren't going to be back for a while, and I knew Percy was still underwater... just great. I knew most of the controls on the ship so if we could get on board, I could use the ballistae; but there was no way to get around these three Romans.

I was running out of ideas, and silently hoping Annabeth had some so that we wouldn't have to fight ourselves out of the situation. "Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords, and I drew my sword. I didn't want to risk anything, but if I had to I was going down fighting. I looked to Annabeth and watched in confusion as she very slowly, using only two fingers, drew her dagger. Instead of dropping it, like she had appeared to be doing at first, she tossed it as far as she could into the water.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or spoils of war!" Annabeth's face morphed into a dumb-blonde smile, a look I had never see her try to do. Knowing her as well as I did, I could tell it was an act, but apparently Octavian bought it and he huffed in exasperation. "You other three..." He pointed his blade at us. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus—"

Octavian didn't get to finish that sentence. All around the Romans, Charleston Harbor erupted like some kind of crazy Sea World attraction. When the wall of seawater subsided, the three Romans were in the bay, spluttering and frantically trying to stay afloat in their armor. I wiped the water from my eyes to see Percy standing on the dock, holding Annabeth's dagger in his hand.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced. Annabeth threw her arms around him.

"I love you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted, though she had a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

Down in the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"

     "I'd like to see you try, scarecrow," I called down. Percy snorted.

      "What?" Octavian shouted. He was holding on to one of his guards, who was having trouble keeping them both afloat.

     "Nothing!" I shouted back.

      "Let's go, guys." Percy said, ruffling my hair. I sent him a mock-glare.