1.27 - Aeolus Terrifies Me

I could tell that meeting Thalia had thrown Jason off, and as we climbed the mountain I could see him reflecting on it.

The golden backpack of winds was strapped over his shoulders, and I watched him continue to look back as we got further away from the bridge. I climbed in silence next to Piper and Leo, letting Jason and Coach Hedge lead the way.

It feels like I hadn't talked with Piper for ages. Leo and I talked all the time, which was to be expected, seeing as we were best friends and now together. Jason and I had been making an effort to talk, discuss strategies, and get closer with each other. But Piper and I... she had been concerned about her dad, and rekindling her and Jason's relationship.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand it, but it's hard to work on our friendship during a quest, and feels selfish to prioritize at this point.

The closer we got to Aeolus's palace, the harder it seemed to get. The winds in Jason's bag struggled, rumbling and bumping around, making it harder for Jason to go on. All of us were exhausted, and none of us seemed to be in a good mood, well except for Coach Hedge. He kept bounding up the slippery staircase and the trotting back down. "Come on, cupcakes! Only a few thousand more steps!"

As we climbed, none of us talked. Leo didn't crack a joke, I didn't make a sarcastic remark, and Piper didn't reassure us to just keep going. None of us had individual conversations, and if I was being honest I'd almost rather there be talking. It's easier to do hard things when I'm distracted. My legs seemed to burn from the walking, and I fiddled with my fingers absentmindedly.

Finally, we arrived at the top of the island. Bronze walls were placed all around the grounds, even though I saw no reason for them to be there. Gates that had to be at least twenty feet high opened for us, and there was a road of purple stone.

"That's bizarre," Piper said, looking around in awe.

"Guess you can't get cable on a floating island," Leo said randomly, sighing.

"Such a tragedy." I said sarcastically.

"Dang, check this guy's front yard out." The grounds were amazing yet terrifying. They were divided into four sections, each one looking like they represented a different season. One section was an icy waste, with bare trees, a frozen lake, and snowmen. One was an autumn park with gold and red trees. The other two were hard to see, but from what I could make out one looked like a green pasture with sheep made out of clouds. The last section was a desert where tumbleweeds scratched strange patterns in the sand like Greek letters, smiley faces, and a huge advertisement that read: WATCH AEOLUS NIGHTLY!

"One section for each of the four wind gods," Jason wondered out loud. "Four cardinal directions."

"I'm loving that pasture." Coach Hedge licked his lips. "You guys mind—"

"Go ahead," Jason and I said, sighing in relief. The satyr ran off to attack the spring area, and Jason, Leo, Piper, and I walked down the Purple Brick Road to the steps of the palace.

We passed through the front doors, which slightly felt like trespassing, into a white marble foyer decorated with purple banners that read OLYMPIAN WEATHER CHANNEL, and some that just read OW! I hope that isn't foreshadowing.

"Hello!" A woman said, floating up to us. Yes, floated. She looked to be some sort of nymph, with dark hair and beautiful eyes. "Are you from Lord Zeus?" she asked. "We've been expecting you."

It was hard to think of a response when the person you're talking to is see through.

"Are you a ghost?" My brother asked, and I hit him on the chest. Idiot.