Chapter 17

Realisation

At the same time, Jin was sitting on his couch, thinking about how Eun Ae ran away. He still was confused. Was her stage fright really that bad? He could not help but feel curious about Eun Ae. They had talked and interacted many times already but she still seemed so mysterious to him.
She always seemed nonchalant but got extremely flustered everytime he mentioned something related to that day she sang at the swimming pool and when she performed in front of people. However, if she could muster up the courage to sing in his brother's café, why did she panic? Was it because she saw him or...
Jin's eyes widened as he was hit with an epiphany. No, he wouldn't... A wave of flashbacks of that day at the café washed over him. The song that Jun had played accidentally. Fight or Flight. It wasn't an accident. He meant to play it. Jun was scaring Eun Ae. He purposely played that song so that Eun Ae would be too afraid to sing.

He was asking her to run away and it succeeded.

But why? Why would he torture a random girl? In addition, they had already buried the hatchet. Unless... Then, it dawned upon him. On that day that Eun Ae sang at the swimming pool, Jin, innocently, went to tell Jun about it. They both laughed about that bizarre experience. 
From that day onwards, Jin always told Jun about him and Eun Ae. How he teased Eun Ae, how he helped her fend off her ex, everything. He told Jun everything. Every time Jun heard his stories with Eun Ae, he always asked him the same question.

"Well, do you like her?"

And Jin always laughed it off and said no. However, on the day before Eun Ae's performance at the café, Jun asked the same question and Jin, unlike what Jun expected, replied confidently and happily,

"Yes,"

That was why. That was why Jun was currently torturing Eun Ae. He played Fight or Flight, made this entire performance at the café idea just to torture Eun Ae. Why? Because Jin liked her. Jun wanted Jin to feel agony by torturing the person he loved. He felt his blood rush to his head as he clenched his fist.
In a flash, he had appeared in front of Jun's café. Without even noticing Eun Ae in the café, he slammed the entrance door open and stormed into the café. He grabbed Jun by the collar and pulled him close to his face. Eun Ae, confused, bewildered and afraid, stood still.