Chapter 37

Pebble in The Reflection

Dangling their feet in the pool awkwardly was Jin and Eun Ae, breathing in the air that was ripe with the pleasant, dewy petrichor of the post-rain. They both burned in embarrassment, hearts beating in excitement. Their minds had thoughts swirling in their heads as they sat in silent joy. Eun Ae bit her bottom lip, trying to suppress the huge smile creeping up her face.

"You know, I've never told anyone but I once sang in a performance when I was younger. Back then, I had no fears, no care for the world. I was an innocent girl who just had a strong passion for singing,"

Eun Ae said, looking at the reflection of herself with tears stinging her eyes. She promised herself that she would not cry but she was failing. With a shaky voice, she continued,

"I'm still the same girl I was at the performance. I still have a passion for singing. I love it with my whole heart. I feel so light and euphoric whenever I sing. It's just... I don't have that carefree spirit anymore."

Jin looked at Eun Ae who wiped the tears that were trickling down her face. Her head was down as she refused to face him. Jin's heart ached. Seeing Eun Ae in pain hurt not only because he truly loved her but because she reminded him of Jun. Fragile, insecure and broken.

"I always found it painful to see someone so talented struggle to believe in themselves. I just want to push them into the spotlight and make them show their talent and show them how talented they are but I know that it isn't enough and it always hurts,"

Jin said, staring at Eun Ae as she suddenly broken down. She collapsed as she covered her face with her hands, sobbing in agony. Her wails echoed as her body shook violently. Jin put his hand on the side of her head and pushed it down onto his shoulder softly. Eun Ae sobbed into his broad shoulders, wetting it just like how it was dampened by the rain.

"I hated myself for performing then. I loved singing but I wasn't particularly good at singing at the start. When I had my first ever performance, I wasn't the best and people laughed. Their laughs echoed and amplified every time I recall the memory. Since then, I swore to myself that I would never let anyone hear how I sounded,"

Eun Ae said, her tears drying up as she stared soullessly at her reflection. She clenched her fist at the sight of her vulnerable and weak self in the swimming pool reflection. She felt a surge of hatred for herself for being so embarrassed.

"There's nothing wrong with caring about what people think of you. But you need to understand that you won't be able to please everyone and that's okay. Learn how to accept yourself for who you are. Whether you do what you love well or not, as long as you enjoy it, nothing else matters,"

Jin said, looking down at Eun Ae who still had her head rested on his shoulder. Then, he looked at the reflection of them both and smiled. Never in his life would he have thought that Eun Ae would trust him so much to confide in him. Then, he picked up a random pebble lying on the ground and threw it into the swimming pool right where their reflection were at.

"Like that pebble, bravely charged down into the swimming pool and reach the bottom just like how you should bravely perform. The pebble can start sinking in a bowl of water, then a kid's pool, then an adult's pool, then an ocean. Take it slowly, don't immediately start singing in front of a huge crowd. Instead, sing in front a few people and increase from there,"

Jin said as they both saw the pebble sink to the bottom of the swimming pool as the waters rippled, causing their reflection to waver. Eun Ae smiled sadly.