xxxi. a caffeine controversy

***

***

     THIS WAS A FIRST FOR CASSIA.

     She'd never sat a proper exam. Well, not really. There were always those "exams" in the years below where teachers assessed students for that year, but it was in speech marks for a reason. They weren't important.

     This was.

     While Cassia didn't know what she wanted to do in her future, she had to give her all in these exams to ensure that she'd even have a future.

     The first week of June was the week exams started. And on the Monday of her first exam, Cassia woke up having scrounged for the most sleep possible in her temperamental dormant life, finding Maryam already on her bed front, flipping through pages upon pages of notes. Eva had come out her duvet cave in a frenzy wishing she spent more time studying. That makes two of them.

     Today's exam was Charms. Theory in the morning, practical in the afternoon.

Cassia had this thing about being presentable during exams. She wouldn't know how to approach them best, she's never even sat any before — but she has this idea where if she has her hair done or puts a bit more effort into making herself look good, it can boost her esteem for the exams. She can go in with her head held up and get right into the paper knowing that she put effort into herself, so she can put effort into the exam. She curled her hair faintly, put a nice shade of pink lipgloss on and spritzed a sweet perfume onto herself, smelling of roses. Even if she fails, she'll do it looking pretty.

She hopes she won't fail.

"—The wand movement for turning on switch?"

"A V-shape?" says Cassia in reply to Daphne, who was currently opposite Cassia, walking backwards into the Great Hall, blindly navigating through the aisles between tables with a set of Charms flashcards in her hands. "Wait, no," Cassia corrects herself, "It's more like a tick—the right line of the V is longer."

Daphne checks the other side of the card and grins. "Yes. What charm would you use for floor sweeping?"

Twisting her face in thought, Cassia continues following the reversed Daphne, "I can never get this one—"

"Oh, shit—!"

Daphne stumbles forward with a collision into her back. The apologetic look she had instantly turned to flint at seeing who she'd walked into. Pansy Parkinson, arms folded with a lip jutted out, book in hand (being the reason she'd missed avoiding the Greengrass twin's unguided navigation into the Hall). Pansy also seemed to be someone who dressed up a bit to hearten themselves for the exams, her short dark hair pinned up at the sides with small clips.

Daphne drags her hard stare from Pansy onto Cassia, pressuring a smile to her lips. "As we were?" She says.

Cassia, frozen, shifts her gaze between Pansy and Daphne. She grimaces at Pansy before pressing her lips together in looking at Daphne. This was ridiculous. She wished they'd make up soon. And make out. Was this what people thought when Cassia and Theo stopped being friends?