xxxiii. the fury of a phoenix. or two.

***

***

They were utterly fucked.

With the swirling dark presences of Death Eaters all flurrying all around them, that much was obvious. Their silver masks shone through the darkness, dark hoods draped over the coverings like liquid mercury. Before any of the young students knew it, wands were prodding right into their chests.

"To me, Potter," Lucius Malfoy reiterates.

Harry's eyes glimpsed the older man's hand splayed out, anticipating the glass ball being placed on top. Cassia's heart thrummed against her chest so hard, that it was almost beating directly onto the wand pressed against her.

"To me," says Malfoy.

"Where's Sirius." Harry's voice shook.

     A chorus of laughter echoed around them.

     "The Dark Lord always knows!" One Death Eater says.

     "Always," says Malfoy with a hint of a smirk. "Now, give me the prophecy, Potter."

     "I want to know where Sirius is!"

     Cassia couldn't believe her eyes. But of course, she did. As she'd realised at the last moment, this was a trap. Sirius Black had never been taken into imprisonment. It was a ploy. A ploy to get into Harry Potter's head, to hit his most sensitive thoughts, insecurities. They wanted to warp Harry's mind, and—

     It sure as hell worked.

     And the Death Eater in front of Cassia... couldn't take their eyes from her. Well, what seemed to be their eyes. Mask trained directly onto her face, unflinching. As if examining every little detail, from her mother's blue eyes to the smile she and Daphne shared, to the auburn hair of her father's... she hoped it was dark enough that no one could see any of it. She can't believe it never occurred to her before, but she was a Greengrass — she was known in the Pureblood world.

     "You've got him," says Harry, "He's here. I know he is."

     "The little baby woke up fweightened and fort what it dweamed was twoo," a female voice mocked, hidden beneath her robes.

     Ron's arm went rigid, and Cassia heard Harry tell him, "Don't do anything. Not yet—"

     "You hear him? You hear him? Giving instructions to the other children as though he thinks of fighting us?"