xxxv. winter in june

***

***

     THEO FELT COLD. Colder than usual. Which, to be frank, was ironic, since the sun had been out for weeks now and it was only getting warmer as the days went on. Factor in his mother doing much better at the hospital and that he was finally free from his father, there should have been at least a little sunray to heat up his sweater-clothed body.

Was he really, though? Free from his father?

That was his initial hope. During the events of the Department of Mysteries, despite what others might think, he was there. His father showed him everything. Didn't shield his eyes once. The same way he never shielded his eyes when his grandad killed his grandmother in front of him, with Theo standing right there.

Theo was forced to watch as his father ripped his best friend apart, hear her spine-curdling scream almost rip his eardrum out... and he couldn't bear it. Cassia didn't deserve that, not one bit. And her family didn't deserve to see Phoenix get wheeled to Azkaban.

See, he tried. Theo tried to escape the mind connection, the one binding him to his father, the one that made him encourage Cassia to go to the Department of Mysteries in the first place. He tried to run from it, but any time he would, his father would stick his talon into Theo and drag him right back. Root him to the spot.

His father being in Azkaban should be a good thing. Not having to deal with him when he went home for summer, which would be in less than a week. But he forgot the one key thing that's been plaguing him for months. That mind tether. Because every time Theo thinks he's gotten away, his father sticks his talon back into Theo, an eagle fighting for dear life, fighting for its ability to stay on ground. Theo was the eagle's anchor.

And he's been living through the chills his father experiences at Azkaban, and sometimes when he closes his eyes, he can see the dark, drab, mouldy walls of his cell.

Currently, though, his attention was focused on a small rectangle creased in the middle where it was folded. A business card. One that his Uncle Xavier had Owl'd him not too long ago. Theo's hopes and future relied on this business card, specifically, the person on it. It was only a matter of time before plans would be made into actions and Theo hoped that as a result of this and whatever his mother's been doing in the hospital, that things would start to look brighter, and warmer, and he could stop wearing sweaters in June.

     He hoped that one day, he wouldn't feel cold anymore.

"Hey dude," a voice says, sliding into the seat opposite Theo at the Slytherin table. Theo's cousin, Sterling, with his maroon hair shining red in the window reflection of the Great Hall, was accompanied by his best mate Wayne, who fumbled his legs over the bench at the table. Despite not wearing their uniform, they were still quite noticeably the only Hufflepuff's to sit at Slytherin table.