xxxvii. the start of something promising

***

***

     If there is one thing that Cassia has learnt over the past year, in this whirlwind of a year at Hogwarts, it is that nothing is ever set in stone. Not like it was supposed to be, at least. Somehow, even if the cement was so easily laid out, every flat edge laid out and scraped to a perfect, smooth finish, something would always come in the way before it'd have the chance to solidify. A mouse or a cat scampering across in the cheeky flash of an eye, leaving tiny but discernible paw prints, or perhaps someone too interested in the donuts they just purchased from the bakery to pay any heed to the roadworks happening outside said bakery, walking head-first and leaving heavy boot-prints in one frustrated builder's handicraft.

Point is, nothing ever works out like it's supposed to.

And that's all that's been going through Cassia's mind every time she reads the latest Daily Prophet article regarding all current Azkaban prisoners, somehow managing to mask the hurt in her rosy cheeks, long eyelashes, smiling as she ignores the pointy, razor-sharp looks from anyone in proximity. It's either that or give them a glare that'd they'd remember even as they're in their seventies with grandchildren.

She's decided not to resort to that yet, though. Purely on the hope that with her going back home tomorrow, leaving Hogwarts for a full two months, people will be able to forget or at least grow to not care about her being the daughter of an incarcerated Death Eater. It doesn't feel fair to go evil-rage on everyone just yet when they're all as ignorant as each other.

Cassia was more than happy when she could finally leave the Hospital Wing and spend the last two nights at the Slytherin dungeons. She was allowed to go for walks during her hospitalised days and earlier on when she was walking around the castle with Harry, she came across Professor Sprout leading a pair of blonde twins, a boy and a girl, through the castle (Cassia just knew they were twins. Being a twin herself, her twin-radar had never failed her.) She ended up picking up the hat belonging to the girl, who had really cool hair and was super nice.

However, her little Hospital Wing stay did end in a very amusing way when, right before dinner, while Cassia was packing up the last of her cards and chocolates at her bedside, Umbridge had attempted to escape the Hospital Wing. Hogwarts ex-Headmaster was tiptoeing through what she thought was an empty infirmary, when she heard a throat clear that prompted her to stop and turn her head towards the sound like a deer in headlights. Umbridge seemed to have forgotten about her silent roommate.

"Going somewhere, Dolores?" Cassia had asked Umbridge, eyebrows raised.

Umbridge had merely attempted to straighten her posture, saying, "You do not have permission to address me by that name! Madam Undersecretary will do."

"Well, actually..." Cassia holds up a finger, halting Umbridge. "Your tragic stint at being my teacher is over, so you can't instruct me anymore, and we're also not in court. Really, I can call you whatever I like. Toad, Um-bitch... but Dolores is fine with me."