xxxvi. a tale of three nordics

***
Part One: Alanna Sandberg-Whittaker

***Part One: Alanna Sandberg-Whittaker

***

HONESTLY, Alanna grew tired of explaining her occupation to people. More specifically, how she got where she was. Calling a twenty year old "Doctor Whittaker" really didn't sit right with a lot of people.

It sat right with her. She earned this. She felt like a badass. Despite everything she went through in the past, she fought for what she wanted and she got it. She had never fallen through that dark hole at Durmstrang, and neither did her brother, because their parents didn't. Their mother didn't, and after her death, they knew they owed it to her to carry the greatness she sought from the world. Never would you find a soul purer than Linnéa Sandberg's to exit the dark walls of Durmstrang. And the fact that both her children managed to do the same without being tainted by the darkness, showed you something incredible of an influence that woman had over them.

It might also have something to do with the fact that many people were just plain scared of her.

(Well, not Alanna in particular, unless she gave you her cold bitch stare, most would just see her as unthreatening with her pretty face, a cup of coffee in one hand and always wearing that same black-and-white checkered blazer. Even in the winter, it would hide under her big fluffy parka, but it was still there.)

See, quite a few years ago (a few thousand — ten thousand sounds about right) Alanna's ancestors —from the Sandberg clan, her mother's side of the family — did some stuff, that well, wasn't very nice... people were hurt, and... lets just say that Alanna's ancestors did some pretty sketchy shit. For a long time, the Sandberg coven was feared by most of Scandinavia.

Their coven originated in Sweden and so, many generations of Sandberg witches and wizards had their education within the cages of Durmstrang, hence the reason why any time a Durmstrang student or teacher heard the name "Sandberg", they'd scram in the opposite direction. You could never look a Sandberg in the eye.

It's a shame, 'cause it meant Alanna hardly had any friends while at Durmstrang, but she grew used to her own company. She also thinks it's kinda stupid since the last of the evil bunch of Sandberg's were lost somewhere in the fifteenth century. Now they're harmless as chickens. She supposes she should be grateful for it since it was the reason she was left alone by teachers and students trying to coax her into doing dark magic. Still, imagine being terrified of a teen girl who had a straight bob-cut and a thick fringe till she was thirteen. Alanna didn't get it, but it worked out for her anyways.

That's far from the point, though. Alanna hated explaining how she became the so-called "Dr Sandberg-Whittaker" that was detailed on the metallic plaque in her office, but it was pretty much due to her leaving school at fifteen (almost sixteen) and not taking a break since then. Truth is, how Alanna became the therapist she now is entails an extremely long-winded answer that most people wouldn't sit down and listen to, no matter how condescendingly curious they are. Only a select few like her father, her brother, her roommate even, know but only because Alanna wanted them to know.