viii. littered ink

***

***

IT WAS ONLY NATURAL FOR YOUNG PEOPLE TO PONDER OVER THEIR PURPOSE IN LIFE. To ask themselves, what should my role on this earth be? How can I make a difference? In a world where young people continuously seek validation through others, this is the easiest way to scour the thought-process into your mind. The fact that, maybe there is more to life than just eating, sleeping and studying? (Though it's without saying that most teenagers would rather eat and sleep in order to avoid the oh-so-aggravating responsibilities of studying, magical or not.)

     And Cassia Greengrass often found herself wondering what exactly she meant to people. But not in a doubtful, self-conscious way.

(Cassia wasn't a doubtful person. When she knew something was certain, she'd leave it at that and accept it for what it was. She liked certainty. Knowing something was for definite. But if she didn't know something either, she would also leave it at that, because she hated the feeling of doubt in her mind. The pounding ache that perhaps things aren't as you know it, and whatever you've thought isn't what you know it to be; the feeling messes with her, the uncertainty of doubtful situations shackle her metaphorically into place until it's made clear that the things been fed into her mind were as false and warped as can be, a grappling hook that her reality would change from what she knew it to be. She hated that feeling.)

Rather, she worried about people curiously. Kind of like: I know I mean something to this person - but what? Cassia didn't need to get any self-validation from anyone else. She thought, this is me, and if someone doesn't like me then that's their problem? She doesn't doubt many things, and self-worth wasn't one of them. Cassia had people all around her to remind her so. Her parents, her twin, her little sister, Theo, Maryam, Eva... even Harry. All her friends and family reminded her that she had people in her life to make her feel worthy.

June fell upon Hogwarts castle and it's students with harmonious bird twitters and long evenings filled with chatter, all the while basking in the beautiful sunlight radiating perceptively in the courtyard. It also brought on the pressurising stress of exams, which proved as a right scare for many students at seeing the eagerness of the teachers to start their course revision, especially after the highly enjoyable Yule Ball over the Christmas and even more so the exciting end to the Second Task, leaving Harry Potter and Cedric Diggory tied for First Place, and for the two Greengrass twins — their fifteenth birthday in February.

     The shock that led from the sudden divorce of Eva Abercrombie's parents still lingered within the Slytherin dungeons, but with exams having been a massive priority, Eva and her friends seemed to forget about the shocking occurrence. But rather than feeling upset or disengaged by it, Eva was just confused. Nothing made sense? She knew that her parents weren't always the happiest couple ever - but they had a healthy relationship. Or so it seemed. Whatever happened in those three or four months that passed while Eva was in Hogwarts, she'd feel glad to not have to have endured it. And judging by the written responses from both parents, they were being as vague as Eva had guessed they would be.