xxxii. what a day

***

***

     WHAT IS CASSIA DOING?

Her head is pounding because she shouldn't be doing this, but she still is. She shouldn't be doing this, but she is. She's doing this.

Oh, yeah. Why was she doing this?

Because she wanted to find her father.

     She was going to find her father.

     All she can hear is Theo's voice in her head. This is what you wanted. That's what she thought too. Except now that she's sprinting her way through the castle, ponytail flying, navigating barely by others — Cassia wonders if this was really just a need of hers. Or a yearning clouded by ignorance.

This didn't stop her.

     So she runs, and she runs fast. The coffee was wearing off but Cassia knew she had to find Harry and his friends before they left Hogwarts. It was like someone had jammed a stick down her leg and they were just sore, but she didn't dare halt.

     The clacking of her heels against the stone floor quickly plunged into stomps on the grass, as Cassia remembered Ron saying Harry went into the Forest. She's going into the Forest. For fucks sake, she hates the Forest. And she's beginning to hate this idea even if it's hardly started yet. But it started the moment Harry fainted during the exam.

     She sees Ron. A hundred percent, that hair belonged to him. And with there being another redhead nearby, Cassia knows that she's in the right place if Ron and Ginny were peeking from the tail of the Forest. Her mind goes to the three extra wands in her hand, remembering how attentive Theo was that one of them could be Ginny's. It made her wonder.

     She can't be thinking about this right now.

     So Cassia tramples and tramples and goes through all the leaves, flowers, hidden ants among the grass. The downhill slope going towards the Forest only quickens her pace and she almost trips over her robes about seven times. Yes, she counted.

     "Hey—hey—!"

     This time, she does trip. She finds Harry and his friends at the edge of the Forest, forming a small ring. They seemed to be in an intense discussion until Cassia reached an abrupt halt at the bottom of the hill and lost all bearing, catapulting onto the backs of Neville Longbottom and Ginny Weasley. The three would have all fallen down had Ron and Harry not came forward and steadied them by the shoulders. Cassia regains her footing and brushes her robes down. Everyone looks at her. Her hair had come undone from its bobble, hanging in tangled, unruly spirals, and there were dirt marks on her uniform, her shirt having come untucked from under her skirt.