xii. the art of vulnerability

***

***

CASSIA GREENGRASS DIDN'T DOUBT A LOT OF THINGS. And for some bizarre, unfamiliar and frightening reason, she found herself doubting the actions that led her to getting a detention. That led her having to wait outside of Professor bleeding Umbridge's office at just before 5pm. She'd hardly been able to focus on eating that evening with the thoughts of oh god what was this vile woman going to do to me ridden throughout her mind. (She regrets it, though — her stomach was embarrassingly groaning by this point.)

At the time, she perceived that standing up for Cedric Diggory was the right thing. That retaliating from the lies that were being so fondly spoon-fed into their mouths, would result in her feeling some sort of accomplishment. A satisfaction.

But alas, no.

All she's been left in is a predicament involving a detention with the most unpleasant of women whom Cassia has ever encountered, and judgemental stares from the people she deemed her home away from home. The criticisms from her fellow Slytherins that she backed up Harry Potter were plentiful, and Cassia was doubting the intentions she initially felt indebted to.

And it's because of this that every time Cassia remembers what happened in that classroom the previous day, she had a lack of conviction towards her actions. It was the right decision, yes — but maybe not the correct one. Because really, was fighting for a cause worth it if the people that could actually make a difference paid no heed or respect to what you were saying, and if it only led to more people getting hurt? More prominently — what was the point? Was it really worth it in the long game?

Cassia Greengrass was a Slytherin, there was no doubt about that. She might have been compassionate and understanding, but she was sly and ambitious, and above all, self-preserving. She cared about saving her own neck. It's how it's always been — even outside of the Slytherin clan. It's how the Greengrass family manages to save the necks of their presiding lineage, and its why there are still people with Greengrass blood living to this day.  When a Greengrass fights, like it depicts gracefully for them to fight, they fight first and foremost, for themselves. So, for Cassia, it's only the right thing to say that being self-preserving came as a natural instinct to her.

It was almost melancholy. No, not almost. It was melancholy. This trepidation within Cassia existed because she wanted to do the right thing and make good amends with all the lies being fed into her society. She already felt sympathy for people like Harry, constantly putting themselves into dejection. But now that's she's experienced what it's like for herself... she feels regretful. Doubtful. A feeling that she absolutely hates. And she's realised, that even if you do something with good intention, it doesn't always result with a good outcome.