xxi. rumours unveiled

***

***

HERE'S THE THING ABOUT BEING HUMAN: nothing is absolutely certain. People make false promises, people lie, people die and leave this horrible place for everyone else to rot in. People become so easily influenced by half-thought words of others, and people are so easily affected by zero-thought words of most. There's no secret that people often speak their mind in times they shouldn't. There's no secret that often, the thoughts filling their mind are ones they know not of at all. People don't think things through. It's a natural trait instilled within humans, one that can cause the most destruction above all.

Regret. That's what Cassia feels. Regret over what she said, what she did, that she left... Her mind is occupied by a cacophonous cave of unthought profanities and hearts ripping to shreds. She knows that she didn't mean what she said to Theodore. She knows she didn't mean to compare him to his father. But she just... did. In a moment where it was nothing but hurt sentiments and infuriated tempers, Cassia was caught in a rift that meant she lost one of the people closest to her.

That's not to say she's changing stance. She's still pissed at Theo for hiding this secret from her. She understands that yes, he didn't want to hurt her. She gets it. But in a revelation like this, feeling hurt is inevitable. Nobody would be able to get over finding out your father is practically a terrorist that easy. But that doesn't excuse Theo not telling her something so significant. She may have been in the wrong, but so was he. If she looks down at her wrist, she can almost recollect the piercing claws of Theo's nails into her skin, she can almost visualise the scarlet crescents engraved into her wrist. She can remember the dark, obsidian scowl of his so easily... she hates it.

He never shows it, but Cassia knows that Theo is sensitive. He's a pretty delicate guy when it comes to his feelings. No hardened expression or poker face could hide that. And she absolutely, a hundred percent knew that those words she spoke... hit a spot prone to bruise. A tender, delicate, easily wounded spot. At the time, she meant to hit that spot. She was so furious with him, she wanted to wound him in the place she knew healing would be harder. And now she regrets that she ever did.

It's been a day since, and Cassia finds that nothing between them has changed since the previous day's occurrences. It's not like there would be. She straight-up told him to stay away. And he did. Theo isn't one to go against the word of someone else, not when Cassia made everything clear by walking away first herself. She didn't know if their friendship was a lost cause... but she thinks if she waits it out a small while, that she'd eventually be able to find out.

"Quit being a suck-up, Tori, and get here!"

As for the progressing Sunday, Cassia and Daphne decided to immediately tell Astoria about the new revelation. Of their father. They found that in the last day, the most they could do regarding this revelation was just to keep it harboured. They couldn't exactly do much in the way of a new wayward Death Eater happening to be their father. For now, they would go through life as they usually did... with the thought in the back of their mind, pestering and picking at their thought strings, growing into an endless tangle of menacing yarn balls being picked apart by pesky felines. They didn't want to make a big deal about it anyways. No Greengrass has ever thrived in the big spotlight. They like to keep to themselves.