xxvii. eva's epiphany

***

***

OKAY, SO, CASSIA HAD A THEORY, AND IN THE BEGINNING IT WAS A PREMATURE ONE, but now it was all she got. Literally. She had looked absolutely everywhere for information regarding Eva's dad and any who's, what's, or how's about him being a Death Eater. And it all went to that very fact with as little evidence as possible. It made no sense while it still did. And that's where Cassia's theory comes into play.

     Enoch Abercrombie, Eva Abercrombie's father, was spotted as a Death Eater by none other than Harry Potter on the day of the Final Task. Enoch Abercrombie hadn't been sighted as a Death Eater before that. Previously, Enoch Abercrombie had divorced his wife Astrid Lallemant on Christmas Eve. Out of nowhere. And as Cassia tried picking up the pieces of the story, the only link she'd been able to factor in was that in conjunction to the psychopathic murderer, Midlothian Manson.

You see, because Midlothian Manson was jailed in Azkaban for over thirteen years. Yet on the night of the Quidditch World Cup Final, when the first sighting of Death Eaters were made official, Manson was reported as... dead. But as people had discovered, when his body was retrieved, there was no soul within. And it hadn't been sucked out by the dementors.

Cassia has heard of dark magic that allows for people to transfer their soul to possess that of another. And Midlothian Manson was reported to be someone who'd used that type of magic before. So, given that Manson seemed to be the exact candidate, and given that Enoch Abercrombie had no previous connection to the Death Eaters...

Cassia thinks that Enoch Abercrombie's body is possessed by the soul of Midlothian Manson.

But it was just a theory, right? It didn't have to be true, did it?

At least, that's the primary thought of Cassia's as she halted Eva in the midst of her heading to lunch, telling the blonde, Uh, hey, do you have a minute? I sort of need to say something... Eva, though she was confused, nodded. And now they were here, with Cassia pacing her dorm and Eva sitting on the bed with a leg folded over the other, looking at the Greengrass twin with curiosity.

After some time, Eva frowns, crossing her arms over her chest. "Did you not have something to say? I, er, I'm kinda hungry, if you didn't know."

"Right." Cassia's head snaps up. She rubs her hands together, her legs striding back and forth along their dorm room. "Um, okay. Do you, er, know how your dad is at the moment?"

Eva's eyebrows crease. "He's doing good, as far as I know. We don't talk as much since the divorce. I suppose you could say I'm in contact more with Mum now instead. We kinda... distanced a little."