ix. vehement scoffs

***

***

IT IS SAID THAT FEAR MAKES ONE TURN INTO A GRAVE BEING.

It is said that fear can do many things to humans. That it can make you quiet to the point of scarcely breathing, that it can lead to your heart pounding deafeningly against your ribcage, so harshly that it can be close to the point of collapsing. Even, that it can be the sole reason why the human race would fail to come together. Because fear makes people shrivel up, and detach themselves from other people: it makes people ultimately scared. Fear makes people do terrible things. Fear turns human beings into different versions of themselves; it twists their emotions, entices and warps the beliefs they hold so dear to themselves — it'll eventually turn someone into an unrecognisable, badly reformed version of themselves. And all because fear was allowed to cloud their emotion, both literally and figuratively.

     It takes a little over a month for some sort of atmosphere to return within the walls and faces of those occupying Hogwarts castle. Until then, everything felt numb; the air was void of any emotion, no single iota of a smile on any single face. Almost as if the death of Cedric Diggory had taken away the innocence and remaining purity that resided in Hogwarts. Perhaps, it had.

     Cassia has been one to stand by and watch as the Ministry claimed Lord Voldemort hadn't returned, but she knew that wasn't the truth. She saw Theo that night. The sheer look of distraught, fear, and trepidation that he held in his face. And Cassia would always believe what Theo said. With every living cell in her body, she trusted Theo.

     She didn't know what exactly her parents would believe, but she had a good feeling that they knew Lord Voldemort was back too. Her parents weren't stupid, and though Marlowe Greengrass works under the ignorant Cornelius Fudge, she knew how to differ truth from made-up. Cedric Diggory's death didn't just 'happen' — the Greengrass's could sort that much out for themselves.

     It eventually dawned on Cassia that the boys of the Slytherin dormitory had made an agreement. That they, like the Ministry and every other person whispering rumours between their hands within the walls of Hogwarts, would pretend that Lord Voldemort hadn't returned. They would play the blind mice card and treat Cedric Diggory's death as an accident. By any means, Cassia knew Theo was doing it not for the sake of his dad, like Draco, Crabbe or Goyle, but rather, for the protection of himself and his mother. Because, by acting like nothing is happening, it makes Theo's father less likely to involve him or his mother in any business they don't want to be involved in.

     Cassia and Daphne Greengrass both think that this idea conjured up by Draco Malfoy specifically, is absurd. Completely and wholly absurd. Sure, they wouldn't know what it would be like to have a family member involved in things as dark and harmful as this — but it was still meaningless and they were only fooling themselves. Eventually, something would happen. They were only giving way to more uncertainty and lies, and once you start lying — you can't stop. It's like putting an obstacle in a trail of falling dominoes. Eventually, it'll stop with a preventative barrier. But at the expense of something else. One domino would have to take the harsh fall to the surface, similarly how the human race will pay for their ignorance once all has been revealed. Someone will fall. Innocent or not.