xxxiv. the sweet and the savoury

***

***

     SOMETIMES, Cassia would wonder what her life would be like having taken magic completely out of the equation. Maybe instead of a large manor, she'd be living in some kind of quaint little house. A detached bungalow perhaps. With three bedrooms, and one which could be built into the attic. Two bathrooms at the most. A flower bed would be mandatory. Maybe dog.

     She'd still be going to school: maybe a prissy private school that had knee-length plaid skirts compulsory for dress code and people focused solely on one-upping the other, or maybe a public school where teachers would make students wearing their blazers at all times their biggest priority. She could walk to school every morning if she lived near, or if it was further away, take the train or bus. Maybe a friend's parent could give her a lift in their car.

Cassia already knows her father would be into his cars. He would invest in the most up-to-date sports car that he could zoom down the streets in, with an engine loud enough that neighbours can tell it's Phoenix pulling up to the driveway in the evening. From his job at the car dealership. He clearly adores his cars. She can see her mother running the nearby garden centre, and Cassia and her sisters would go there after school every day for some cake and coffee from their tiny cafe and go around watering all the plants for Marlowe. Maybe even get a shot of the till.

    Then there would always be that one employee of Marlowe's, the one a year older than the twins who seemed to always clean the tables near where Cassia would be eating her chocolate fudge cake. And whenever Cassia ran into trouble at the till, he would always be there to help, by coincidence. His name would be Noah or Leo and he had school too so came to work as soon as it ended, and they'd both see each other in their uniform one day after school and the shock they had in realising they went to enemy schools. They laughed about it afterwards. She figures he had a cute laugh. His messy, overgrown hair may also have taken her fancy.

Anyways. She might end up with a flip-phone that she'd use to call her only friend and her sisters and her parents and may eventually give Noah/Leo her number. She might also get her driving license. But Daphne would probably pass before her. Their father would be so enthusiastic on getting them sports cars as their first but they'd settle for something more low-key, but wouldn't rule the sports car out in the future. Cassia probably had a massive friend group at a time but soon realised she liked keeping her circle small. Astoria would also often end up dragging both her sisters to the charity shops to volunteer, to build up their CV's. And their good conscience.

     And eventually, she'd have to grow up too. Hit up university, or college, or work, maybe run the garden centre for a while to give her mum a break. Go on a massive world tour with her sisters and help Daphne get over her fear of airplanes. Date a wee bit here and there — try it out with Noah/Leo, and if it doesn't work, there'll be others out there, other guys and other girls, others who'll still have cute haircuts. Might settle down with Noah/Leo or some other guy or girl. She doesn't know what her future has in store for her.