xi. a petulant sting

***

***

ON THE MORNING OF THE FIFTH YEARS' FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, along with really the entirety of Hogwarts, regardless of the year, the weather did not seem to be setting them up for greatness in the initial stages of their first term. Grey clouds surrounded the enchanted ceiling high above in the Great Hall, where outside heavy droplets of rain thrashed and bright chaos upon the small stretches of horticulture and the surface of the Great Lake.

As for Cassia, she was sat at the elongated Slytherin table as she usually was, reminiscing in the taste of her cereal. She allows her auburn hair to fall in habitual waves just below her shoulders, the odd strand or two curling in an elegant ringlet that fascinates her. (Really, Cassia finds it strange, but cool, how her hair can sometimes curl itself. It doesn't happen all the time, though. She isn't that lucky that her hair can look like a supermodel's all the time. Most of the time she's cool with just leaving it... natural.) And at Eva's behest, she used the new mascara wand (gifted from Eva directly from a Dior store in France!) to apply some mascara, along with a thinly applied a layer of pink lipgloss. She couldn't deny, the gifts Eva brought back from her trip in France were lavish, one could almost think Eva was enjoying having her parents divorced. Almost.

(Definitely. You didn't hear that here, though. As far as you know, Eva mourns the distant, relinquished days in which she and her parents would sit together at the dinner table, talking about how good their days were.)

Cassia's previous night had concluded with a habitual meeting in the Astronomy Tower with Harry, where they discussed the events of their summers — most specifically, his attack — and Cassia eventually managed to find out Harry was accompanied by a 'dog' in Kings across — which turned out to be Sirius Black himself. And how he was so sure Lucius Malfoy did a double take in Kings Cross and had actually recognised the dog. And that was before the conundrum that was the Sorting Hat's somewhat strange message. It's warning still resonated within the ears of all those bewildered to have heard it, even after the offensive cry Eva gave out at her beloved cousin Euan being sorted into Gryffindor of all places. One mystery had been solved — the person to have assigned them Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard in their school books list was Professor Umbridge: a stout, sycophantic woman dressed head-to-toe in fluffy pink cotton, a pompous smile attached to her high-pitched, squeamish voice. Cassia didn't really know what to... think about Umbridge. The prospect of being friends with the older woman didn't seem as beguiling as Umbridge had suggested. They'd also all found out that Professor Grubby-Plank would be taking over Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures for the time being. Which, again, brought more confusion upon them all because what on earth happened to Hagrid?

(Not that Cassia minded. He wasn't the best teacher she'd ever had, but he was a nice guy. Especially after she'd endured detention in the Forbidden Forest with him the previous year, Hagrid grew to have a bit of a soft spot for the Slytherin.)