xiv. secrets and societies

***

***

NEWS OF THE SLYTHERIN-COMPRISED INQUISITORIAL SQUAD TOOK HOGWARTS BY STORM. Or rather, the entire Squad did. And not in the best way... the Squad, made of, but not limited to, Draco Malfoy, Pansy Parkinson, Millicent Bulstrode, Crabbe and Goyle, and more... The Squad took great pleasure in parading through the halls of Hogwarts with entitlement, snatching house points where they deemed fit. Their capabilities went even further than that of a Prefect — something overjoying Malfoy and Parkinson deeply, knowing they're able to get the upper hand on their prefect comrades. And for the most part, Professor Umbridge seemed to be happy herself with the influence and control her cronies were having over Hogwarts.

     But it was a Saturday, and the first Hogsmeade weekend of the year. It was bound to have a certain... bounce. The woes that were Professor Umbridge and her Inquisitorial Squad were the last things on Cassia's mind as she walked along the path to the recreational town, Daphne beside her and Tracey Davis on the other side. Theo and Blaise were walking behind them, engaged in their own conversation. Pansy and Millicent were engaged with their own Inquisitorial Squad business, so Daphne and Tracey joined Cassia instead. Eva was to spend the day with her boyfriend, Adrian Pucey, while Maryam said she had some Quidditch business to attend to.

     The Quidditch trials had also taken place that week, with Maryam, Tracey and Millicent being the only girls present after some hefty convincing of quidditch captain Graham Montague. Suffice to say, they'd all done well, yet Maryam still had some work to do in regards to getting on the team, as she'd claimed. People were... suspicious. Maryam Ahmed had a trick or two up her sleeve. She wasn't going to let a misogynist get in the way of her playing quidditch.

     "How come you didn't join the Inquisitorial Squad, Tracey?" Cassia asks the Davis girl on the way to Hogsmeade. The weather was quite sunny and clear, though windy enough for Cassia to adorn a beige overcoat on top of her jumper and chinos. And obviously the green and silver scarf. It's a necessity for any cold day outfit.

Tracey scrunches her nose up. Cassia always thought that Tracey was really pretty. She has this sleek hair that was a nice shade of brown where it actually seemed black but when she stood in the sun it shined in a brown colour. And she has this really sweet, contagious smile, and even if she loved to gossip with her best friends loads, she didn't exactly involve herself in other people's business. It was all lighthearted gossip, nothing more. Tracey was... nice.

     "Not really my cup of tea, I guess?" She answers. "I'm not like Millie, or Pansy and want to hold power over people. Millie just did it so that she was able to be better than prefects and take house points off of people... Pansy just wanted to be more controlling. Neither of them even like the toad."