iii. dangerously bedazzling

***

***

IT HAD BEEN NEARLY TWO MONTHS SINCE ARRIVING AT HOGWARTS and after many interesting (disturbing, frightening) lessons in Defence with Professor Moody regarding the Unforgivable Curses and trying to clean the disgusting Blast-Ended Skrewts (they terrify me more every time I go back to that class), it was time to await the delegates of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang in the perishing late October weather.

Alongside the ever increasing piles of schoolwork, me and Potter had continued to meet somewhat secretly during the night in the Astronomy Tower. It seemed somewhat scandalous, yes, especially given our Gryffindor-Slytherin relation, but whatever was happening between us up in the moonlight-illuminated Tower was far from scandalous. We... enjoyed each other's company. And I don't know... maybe part of me did look forward to seeing him every night. He seemed to deem me trustworthy enough to tell me things he'd tell Granger and Weasley, the deep things (which still surprises me even now). And perhaps part of me would do the same, sometimes. It was a strange type of rapport we'd grown to have, but it didn't seem like one of us were willing to break it any time soon. Something about him just seemed so certain. Like I would be able to trust him. I'm just ecstatic Daphne, or Theo or anyone hadn't found out just yet. I would not know how to deal with their reactions.

     I'd told Theo that I would be two minutes before I'd join him in the common room so we go to the Entrance Hall together, but my attention got diverted onto a neatly-folded white envelope laying down innocently on my bed, finished off with a wax seal that was imprinted with - the Greengrass coat of arms? On the one hand, I couldn't understand how I had missed this letter before - hadn't it come to me at Breakfast? On another note, what would my parents possibly write to tell me about, other than checking up and sending us treats from home - surely it must be something important, then? I decided to not delay my curiosity any longer and flicked open the seal, pulling out the parchment within.

Dear Cassia

I trust you will pass this message onto your sisters too. I was only able to send out one message. In the coming weeks, I will arrange for your dress robes to be sent to Hogwarts, all cleaned and ready. Of course, the Ball is only for fourth years and above but in the case Astoria has been asked by someone in the year above, its best to be safe and have hers sent along too.

All my love,

Mother

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion scanning over the letter Mother just sent for the three of us. A Ball? Of course, it was clear to us that the Triwizard Tournament was happening, but nobody said anything about a Ball..

Penning down a quick reply onto some parchment, I returned my sister and I's owl Pearl to send the message back to Mother. Quickly brushing my hair through once and discarding the item onto my unfinished essay Hagrid had assigned on Blast-Ended Skrewts (bloody disgusting creatures, so they were), I headed down to the common room where I found Theo leaning against one of the leather high-backed chairs, tapping his foot impatiently against the floor.