xxiii. the life and lies of luciana nott

***

***

NATURALLY, the Pureblood society was a jigsaw puzzle. Only not your average, intricately pieced-together one. Rather, it was as if an infant had come and had completely displaced the contents of multiple jigsaw boxes. A group of misfits, show-offs and ostentatious pricks that do their best to fit in a society hell-bent on one-upping the other. The jigsaws, you could say, didn't even have relevance to each other. One would be of a cherry blossom tree, crisp and blossoming pink. One would be of a house, ancient or modern, whichever, or perhaps a landscape. Some would have massive, chunky pieces designed to ensure no toddler would come to harm by accidentally misplacing the item in their mouths with their childish, strange tendencies. Point is: the Pureblood society is as messy as all of these jigsaws crammed together would be.

But here's the thing: it never appears that way.

     It never looks messy. Somehow, it's disorderly state of mind and appearance is masked by a complete series of costly suits, extravagant, bedazzling gowns and a plentiful supply of bubbling champagne, fizzling in throats, popping corks as yet another bottle was being boisterously opened.

So, yes. The pureblood society is a jigsaw puzzle. It's a mess, it's flawed, it's filled with blissfully ignorant children, unaware of what and how they can fit into this landscape and the adults, who mask things so that certain pieces can fit. It's a cramped jigsaw, and it definitely isn't pretty. But it's what people born into a pious bloodline have to endure as they grow older, more mature yet maybe not wise.

Following traditions only come as natural to such ostentatious families. So does prolonging the bloodline. So does throwing such massive and stifling parties.

     And it's one of the things Luciana Donahue hates.

     Don't get her wrong: being a pureblood wasn't all that bad. She felt fortunate that her family had never been short of finance and had always been able to meet whatever needs she wanted: she's never been deprived in life. She was home to lavish clothes, divine food and perhaps it was good that she had access to the widespread range of contacts her parents had, contacts able to help her get out there in the world.

Take right now for example. It was amazing that she got gifted the most beautiful sparkling pink dress, jewelled well but not heavily, flowing to just above her ankles. People came to fix her hair and she did her own makeup—she was just picky like that—and the high heels she wore were absolutely stunning, silver diamonds embellished at the toe. The cornucopia of gifts she'd been receiving were a mixed assortment of all things nice and all things not. Usually, she'd try not to get into the attentive minds of the people surrounding her—Luciana isn't one for the spotlight. Today, however, was a significant exception—especially given this very party was for her—because it was the engagement party of Luciana Donahue and Regulus Black.