x. is fortitudinem, aequitas

***

***

THE GREENGRASS FAMILY WERE REMARKABLE, REALLY.

One could depict this much when glimpsing this severely female-dominated family. (But when is that bad? Girl power!) Back when Marlowe and Phoenix had just started their marital life, it seemed so compulsory that a couple should produce at least one male heir — yet sixteen years later, all that came were three females. But they didn't mind.

Sure, everyone else did. But that didn't matter to Phoenix and Marlowe. Nor to any other presiding member of the Greengrass lineage — all that mattered to them were each other. The Greengrass family were never ones to follow stereotypes — they didn't succumb to the dark side, they don't regard themselves with such entitlement, they don't disregard others like people of 'impure' blood or house elves. And other families may have looked down on them for that. But, again, that didn't matter to them — because the morals that passed through this family were better, and they knew that they were only as good as the way they treated others.

So, the Greengrass family are remarkable. Phoenix Greengrass, and his authoritative stance in auctioning and negotiating worthy contracts that are able to make the mouths of those way more entitled than himself. Marlowe and her wit, her skilful need to outsmart those in the wrong and her crafty wandmanship, a skill she often uses in her work as an Obliviator.

(Speaking of jobs in the Ministry... Marlowe and Phoenix think nothing true of the excuses being splayed about the death of Cedric Diggory. They know what happened. But it's not like they can speak out — Marlowe works in the Ministry, the place where it all happens! Imagine if she got on the wrong side of her boss...)

     And then, there's their even more prodigious children — Cassia, Daphne and Astoria. All of whom are entirely empathetic and impartial, these three females depicted the sun, the moon and the sky collectively for the likes of Phoenix and Marlowe Greengrass. They were the best, the better and the even better parts of them both combined, and they were so endeared by their three daughters that it didn't even strike as an issue to them that they had no male heirs. Their love for each other and their daughters were enough, and they couldn't have wanted more.

     The Greengrass family is remarkable, yes. Their coat of arms, an amalgamation of entangled vines amidst three tranquil, white deer, is decorated with a scribing that reads aloud as pacis & armorum vigils. It is a Latin translation, loosely translating to arms, peace and love. It's a value that the Greengrass clan has long stood by, and in simple explanation, it means that whosoever should reside within the walls of a member of the Greengrass family, should resort to treating those around them with adoration, and tranquillity. They should treat everyone equally and keep the order of humanity in balance. But to do that, one should also pay attention to the part that is arms. This would mean that along with keeping the order of humanity in balance, one should also fight when the time comes. To keep nature in harmony, any member of the Greengrass lineage should fight for what they believe in and do their service to nature. Within the walls of Greengrass Manor, what is taught is love, and equity, and the art of being a warrior and standing up and fighting for what you believe in.