xviii. a breeze in hertfordshire

***

***

THE CHRISTMAS CHEER WAS SURE TO ENSURE THAT CASSIA'S MOOD wasn't spoilt, that's for sure. Even if the fact remained that Harry Potter and the Weasley family were forced to leave Hogwarts for some reason. Nobody really knew why, but, that didn't stop them from conspiring, either. Hogwarts were full of gossips. With that being said, the rumours revolving around Hogwarts as to why Harry and the Weasley's had to go so abruptly, ceased to exist the moment the Christmas holidays had started and everyone was either due to return to their respective homes, or stay within the castle. Cassia, Daphne and Astoria returned home to the Greengrass Manor to be reunited with their parents, as well as Marlowe's parents travelling over from Bulgaria.

The Greengrass Manor was, first and foremost, remarkable. It was safe to say that anything with this family was. In the breezy plains of Hertfordshire, surrounded by back-lane paths that made way for the blurred outline of the blinding sun amidst a plethora of trees in the morning light, canals gliding softly along the parkland streams in the evening half-light. It was a beautiful place, really. Built on a foundation of flower gardens and ornate water fountains, the gargantuan white country house had a cleared gravelly path leading down the middle of carved hedges and flower beds, a back garden with room for a tonne of inhabitants, and garden gnomes that have learnt to behave themselves. The Greengrass Manor had an abundance of rooms not only for sleeping in, but there were multiple catering rooms, dressing rooms for when the tailor decides to pay a visit, ballrooms for when Marlowe hosts the finest of Ball's, bathrooms for days with the nicest smelling soap in each soapdish, and not to mention a pool. The Greengrasses had a friggin' swimming pool.

(Which, given it was nothing but snow outside, had obviously frozen over.)

     Cassia's bedroom was on the second floor. Directly above the dining room, and in between both of her sister's, the view of scenic England was, quite literally, at the outset of her bedroom, with a balcony door behind the see-through curtain and a window seat padded with floral cushions. There was a dressing table, and a desk, and Cassia likes to alternate between violet and pale pink bedsheets, but there's always the smiley face cushion on top and the bunny teddy bear (which she's had nearly all her life, considering it's the first of presents ever gifted to her and Daphne by Phoenix when they were only days old). Her bed is pretty big and cushioned, and she can sometime feel herself sink into the mattress. On the windowsill, there are multiple potted plants or trinkets and her curtains were a pale pink ombré colour, with little cherry blossoms scattered all over. It was quaint, it was whimsical, and Cassia likes that.

Her grandparents from Bulgaria had set foot in Greengrass Manor a few days before Cassia, Daphne and Astoria had returned home. But it was a sweet little surprise, since they thought their Bulgarian relatives wouldn't be arriving until after the three sisters got back. It made for a lovely Christmas Eve Eve, and a lovely Christmas Eve, and everything in between. Christmas Morning had been a spectacle too, with the company not even being able to outdo the Christmas tree-shaped pancakes made by the house elves.