Until we meet again - Part 3 - Barney x Reader

"(Y/N)! (Y/N)! Can you hear me." Barney called out over the comms. The others firing off volleys as they ran to the waiting truck.

"Ya coming in loud and clear, dahlin. Get ya arse out of there and let Moriarty do his thing." (Y/n) replied, a subtle smile pulling at the corners of Barney's lips as a big black drone flew in over their heads. It didn't matter how many times she did this, each time she would come up with something new that would always amaze the big man.

"Quick, let's get outta here. Things are gonna get loud." Barney yelled. His voice barely audible over the sound of automatic gun fire.

"Dahlin?" Christmas chuckled, as he dropped into the passenger seat of the truck next to Barney. Barney doing his best to try and avoid anything that his old friend may be attempting to suggest. The pair, as well as the rest of the team ducking as the first explosions sent out a shock wave that shook the truck.

"Dahlin?" Christmas asked again. Crossing his arms and waiting for Barney to give him a suitable explanation.

"What?" Barney replied with a shrug. As another explosion rang out.

"Oh please!" Toll shouted, as he, Caesar and Gunnar continued to fire.

"We've all seen that skull ring that (Y/n) wears. And there is only one person around here with a thing for skulls." Toll continued, as Christmas gave Barney a knowing look.

"It was her birthday the other month." Barney replied with a shrug, as the truck rounded a corner and the harbour where the plane and (Y/n) were waiting came into sight.

"I can't remember how many years I've known you, Barney. But one thing is for sure, you certainly don't know when my birthday is." Christmas chuckled, as all the guys in the back began to agree that Barney would have no idea when their birthdays were either.

"(Y/n) can yah here me? Start the engines." Barney called out over the comms, as he did his best to ignore the insinuations and comments from the others. Suddenly remembering that they had to get their butts out of there.

"(Y/n)!" Barney called out again. Receiving nothing in reply but static.

"Somethings wrong." Barney told Christmas, as he suddenly changed gear and slammed his foot down hard on the accelerator, making his way as quickly as the truck would carry them to the docks.

Barney could feel it in the pit of his stomach. He knew that something must have gone wrong. That something had happened to (Y/n). A notion that made the usually stoic man feel sick. Because the boys were right, there was something between him and (Y/n), something that he didn't want to lose.

After her little display in the disused quarry, Bonaparte had taken Barney back to where he was staying. The procurer of mercenary talent telling Barney that he would give him chance to decide (Y/n)'s fate. Bonaparte knowing that given the big man's history with her brother, accepting another Stonebanks into the team was a big ask. Even if that Stonebanks was a genius with robotics and explosives. But as soon as Barney was sure that his old friend had gone, he had found his way back to the quarry. Back to the old airstream. Back to her. He knew that he shouldn't, he knew that it was wrong. He knew that she was so much younger than him. But the way that she looked at him. The way her eyes glinted and sparkled in the light, the way she smiled, made Barney forget himself.

Normally he didn't get involved with women, he didn't want to hurt anyone. He wasn't the most dependable guy as far as romance was concerned. But there again, none of them were. He could be on the other side of the world at the drop of a hat, getting his ass shot at by god knows who at any given moment. He couldn't be there for anniversaries, or birthdays. In truth, he would probably forget them anyway.

Falling in love just wasn't him. He left that to Christmas and the others. But there was something about (Y/n) Stonebanks that made him rethink everything. He wouldn't have to apologise for who, and what he was. He wouldn't have to make up excuses about why he couldn't meet her parents, or why he hadn't turned up for a date. She would be the same. She would be right there with him in the thick of the action, being shot at just like they were. And as she had stood in the doorway of her van, smiling at him as Sherlock and Watson escorted him too her, Barney knew that things were going to change.

                                                          >>------------------------------<<

Barney slammed onto the breaks. The truck screeching to a halt as it drew up to the plane. It was quiet, to quiet, and despite the shit storm that was currently following after them, the boys could do nothing but stand there and look at one another.

If everything had gone to plan, (Y/n)'s drone should have flown back over head, the engines of the plane should be running, and she should be standing in the doorway telling them to get their asses in gear. But none of that had happened, and now Barney and the others were expecting the worst.

Suddenly a noise from the back of the plane alerted the team to something within. The boys rushing inside to find a man with a blade firmly placed at (Y/n)'s throat, a steady stream of crimson liquid staining her clothes as the man pulled her closer to his body, as he barked orders over a radio.

"You ok?" Barney growled softly, as the man behind (Y/n) tightened his grip around her.

"Yeah. Just hunky dory, thanks. This asshole creeped up on me and smashed my gear. I've lost Moriarty. And my favourite shirt is now covered in blood. So, all in all it hasn't been my best day." (Y/n) replied, gulping as the man pushed his blade a little further into her skin.

"It's gonna be ok, dahlin. We'll get ya outta this." Barney tried to reassure, as Gunnar, Toll, and Caesar jumped back out of the plane. Watching as a mass of machines and a cloud of dust got closer to the docks.

"Whatever ya gonna do, do it quick. We ain't got time to play with this guy." Gunnar called out, as he and the others reloaded.

It was then Barney saw it. The look in (Y/n)'s eyes. The same look that Conrad used to get. The look that said, boy did you pick on the wrong one. The look that said the shit had just hit the fan.

As quick as a flash, (Y/n) spun around, pulling the knife from the man's hands. The blade finding its new home in the throat of the man that had once held her.

"Don't ever, EVER, fuck with an Expendable." (Y/n) hissed, as the man desperately gasped for air before falling to the floor of the fuselage.

"Well? Are you guys just gonna stand there all day or are ya gonna get ya asses on this plane. This bucket of bolts don't fly without a full contingent. And by the sounds of it, you boys bought unwanted guests with you." (Y/n) called out as she made her way to the cockpit. The plane's engines bursting into life as the rest of the team jumped onboard and shut the door behind them.

"(Y/n) do that?" Caesar asked, as he kicked the foot of the dead body. The others taking a seat as the plane began to skip over the water.

"Yep." Christmas replied with a smile, as he and Barney made their way to the cockpit. (Y/n) pulling back on the control wheel as the aircraft finally lifted into the air.

"One hell of a girl ya got there, Barney." Christmas chuckled, as he took his usual seat. (Y/n) smiling at Lee, as Barney tried his best to examine the injury on her throat, before taking the control of the aircraft so that she could go see Doc.

"Yeah. Your right." Barney replied, watching as (Y/n) took her place in the back with the others.

"Oh. So finally admit to it then." Christmas chuckled, as he smirked at his friend.

"Well, after that display, I wouldn't dare not." Barney retorted, a subtle smile creeping onto his lips as Christmas rolled his eyes shook his head. Both men knowing that he had a point, and that nothing would ever be the same again.