The package - The Expendables x Reader

Another day, another mission. More bullets whizzing past their heads and explosions going off around them. So, some would say that this was just a normal day in the life of an Expendable. And, admittedly, most of the team would say that they were right. Gunnar was laughing like a mad man as he fired off his M-249. The empty cartridges spilling all around his feet. Caesar had just destroyed a watchtower with his RPG. Christmas and Doc were having their usual, 'who can kill the most scumbags with a knife' competition. And Barney, Toll and Galgo were picking off anyone that had managed to avoid the rest of the carnage. The leader of the team, taking the opportunity to use his custom SAA whenever the moment called for it.

If truth be told, they were a little confused about the mission. Church was being his usual sneaky, slimy self, and had given them only the, what he jokingly called "intel", that he could. Telling them that the package that they had been sent to retrieve, was very important, and if they damaged it, it would cost them dearly. And if for any reason they couldn't bring it back, then they needn't bother coming back themselves. But other than that................"

"Where actually is this "package" supposed to be.............?" Christmas asked, as he and Barney jumped behind a wall. Both of them duckling and covering as a grenade hit the building opposite. Neither man sure whether it had come from the bad guys, or Gunnar; the big man having far too much fun with this shit.

"We have to get to the west side of the compound. Church said that's where its being kept; and we should expect it to be under heavy guard..........." Barney replied, as he and Christmas poked their heads out over the already tumbled down wall. Taking shots at anything that dared to move.

"Do you have any idea what this damn thing is............?" Christmas continued, as he pulled the empty magazine for him Noveske Diplomat. Place it into his bag, before pushing as new clip back in and taking a few more shots.

"I know as much as you do. Although whatever it is, must be important. Never seen Church like that before. He actually looked worried. Like his neck was on the line if we didn't bring this damn thing back..............." Barney explained. Smiling slightly, as Toll suddenly appeared driving a jeep with Caesar on the back, firing a browning at the bad guys that still didn't have the good sense to get out of their way.

"His neck's on the line? Great...........I say that we leave this package here, and watch the company man get his head chopped off........." Christmas chuckled. The former SAS soldier shaking his head, as Toll drove past their position. Christmas sure that even the self help guru of the team, was enjoying himself a little too much. Lee sighing as he turned back to look at his friend. Barney giving him one of those looks.

"Fine.........we'll get the package. But the next time Church gives us another one of his dumb missions, I want it remembered that I said to let him suffer." Christmas said. Barney nodding before the pair counted to three and stood up from their hiding place, guns blazing.

                                                           >>---------------------------------<<

The men scurried around the room like terrified mice. Shouting at one another, as the sounds of a fight from beyond the door, filled the space. Their hands sweating against the cold metal of their weapons. They had waited too long for a package of this importance to fall into their laps, and they weren't about to give it up that easy. An older man shouting at the others to better barricade the door. Tables, filing cabinets and even an old potted palm that had seen better days, being pushed up against the wooden ingress in hopes of halting, or at least slowing down those that had come to retrieve their prize. The insurgents looking at one another, as everything beyond the barricaded door fell eerily quiet. Their fingers twitching over the triggers, as they waited for something, anything. The shaking of the door from outside, causing the men to fire off volley after volley of rounds into their own barricade and the already worn door. The older man calling out once again. The others ceasing fire as they waited once more, only to find themselves thrown to the floor by a large explosion that not only blew the door off its hinges, but also the makeshift barricade across the room. Those that had survived the explosion, watching as multiple men raced into the area. These figures, the last ones that they would see.

                                                            >>------------------------------<<

The boys stood there, looking between one another and the thing that might just be the "package" that Church had sent them to retrieve.

"Do you think that's it..................?" Galgo asked, as he turned to Barney. The big man shrugging before slowly moving forward.

"Well, there ain't nothing else in here. And it was definitely well guarded." Barney replied, as he looked over the bodies of the ten well-armed men that littered the floor.

"But I think this particular package might just need you, Doc." Barney continued. Doc nodding in agreement, before making his way over to a limp, seemingly lifeless body, that sat, unmoving in a chair. Its wrist and ankles bound, not only to one another, but also to the chair in which it sat. Doc carefully removing the dirty grey hood from the figures drooping head.

"Damn it! It's a woman.............." Doc called out, as he pressed his fingers against her neck in an attempt to find a pulse. Christmas quickly joining him, as he pulled out a blade and cut away the binding.

"She's alive.........just. I need to get her out of here. I have my med kit in the plane, we need to get her there as quickly as we can. If not, the only thing we are gonna need is a body bag." Doc explained, as the woman fell into his arms. He and the others racing out of the building and heading back to the plane. Not one of them having a clue what was going on, just having a feeling that the only one that they might get answers from, was the package herself.