Chapter 52

CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

"No. No, no, no-"

***

You know that feeling when your entire world just... crumbles right in front of you? 

 It feels like you've been crushed. Like a wave of water crashes over you, and you can't move, and you can't breath, and all you can do is stand there and feel useless? Feel like if you had just done something more, then maybe there would be a different outcome? Maybe someone would still be alive? 

 Maya was trudging next to us in her bulky hazmat suit, looking pretty much done with life. I have no idea how she could possibly come out of this alive. I mean, sure it's morbid, but she can't be exposed to radiation that is everywhere, and the only place where she is protected from the thing that would burn her alive is crawling with people who want to shoot her. 

 And I can only steal so many oxygen tanks. 

 Bellamy, as if sensing my worried look, looked over. "Hey," his voice was barely above a whisper. "We'll figure something out. We always do." 

 I nodded, my finger tapping against my leg in an attempt to rid my body of some nervous energy. I trust Bellamy, as said before, but my mind was in overdrive. How could we save all of our people, when they are trapped in a room with drill-maniacs. My friends are in there, my family is in there. 

 Thankfully, I wasn't given much time to dwell on it, as the door swung open, and we were left face to face with Octavia Blake. 

 "Ah, the sweet smell of freedom," I managed to choke out some sarcastic comment, stepping into the musty tunnel. I smiled when I saw Clarke, a bit of prerssure relieving from my chest. "Hey, Princess, how's it going?" 

 She smiled, "pretty good, Pickpocket." 

 I laughed lightly, stepping forward to embrace her. Her forehead rested on my shoulder, and I could tell by that simple action that Clarke was exhausted. When we were little, she had this weird power of being able to fall asleep anywhere, so when I pulled away, I was surprised she was still awake. "How're the Grounders?" 

 "Bad." 

 "So's mine-" I teased, jumping when Phia smacked my arm with more force than what I would deem as neccessary. "Dude, I was joking!" 

 I turned to Octavia, laughing at her quip of, "you two are too scrawny to drill" to Monty and Jasper. We only hugged briefly, but I could tell at a glance that we were both grateful the other was alive. My eyes darted across our group, a smile painted on my face. I have Clarke, Monty, and Bellamy right next to me... it'll all be fine.