Chapter 44

CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

"Well... this isn't ideal." 

***

As soon as I had stepped inside of the room, Harper had been shoved roughly into my arms, and the doors slid shut. I stood there for a few seconds, trying to process my surroundings, waiting for Cage Wallace to start speaking over a com station about death or something. 

 Alas, it was silent. 

 "Well..." I couldn't think of anything to say that would describe just how batshit crazy this situation was. I awkwardly tugged at my collar. "This isn't ideal." 

 It was silent for a few more seconds, before everyone began talking at once. Monty rushed forward and jumped into my arms, the overlapping voices seeming to fade away as I clung onto the smaller boy as tight as I could without crushing him. It seems like it has been decades since I have last seen Monty... I kind of can't believe that he is okay. 

 "I thought I was dead, and then I was like: 'Wow! I'm dead!' but then I wasn't so I was like, 'what the hell? I'm not dead!" He blurted out, a huge smile jumping onto his face. He was bouncing slightly, and I laughed. 

 "I pulled a knife out of the Grounder who stabbed me, and we're friends now!" 

 "I ate chocolate cake!" 

 "Finn went rouge and killed a bunch of people!" 

 "I almost got drilled for my bone marrow!" 

 My mouth dropped open, my heart suddenly dropping to the pits of my stomach. "What?

 The room went silent, and Monty grimaced at his wording, muttered quietly under his breath, "I win." 

 I turned around in a full circle, looking at all of the ashen faces of my former camp-mates. "Someone explain, please." I requested, taking the tie off of my neck and tugging at it anxiously. "And then someone explain why the hell they took my clothes." 

 Jasper stepped forward as if to speak, but was, again, shoved to the side by the small brunette. Fox walked right up to me, and crossed her arms over her chest. "We were kidnapped from the Drop Ship, and then we were brought here and told we were safe... Clarke was the one who found out that they were using the Grounder's blood as medicine, and then Jasper's girlfriend told him." 

 "Hold up!" Jasper stepped forward, not getting within hitting distance of Fox. "She is not my girlfriend." 

 "Yeah, and Nate is straight," she shot back, rolling her eyes. I turned to raise my eyebrows at Monty, giving him a perplexed look and wondering when Fox got so sassy. "Anyways-" she flipped her hair over her shoulder, "apparently doctor Tsing-the psycho lady in-charge of medical-found a way that they could go out in the radiation by harvesting our bone marrow and injecting it into their bloodstream... they locked us in here." 

 I widened my eyes at the girl, who looked to me with a small smile. "We thought you died in the explosion..." she explained, surprising me by jumping forward and squeezing me into a tight hug. Fox was so small that I could lift her feet off of the ground without even realizing it, and let's be honest, I'm no giant.  "I'm glad you're okay," she whispered, her voice muffled by my shirt.