Chapter 2

CHAPTER TWO

"i'm gay, guys." 

***

 The main thing that I noticed on this new planet, was that it was really hard to walk. The gravity was much different, pressing down on my shoulders and making me stumble, grabbing on to Monty's shoulders to keep from falling over. Once I got used to walking, I allowed myself to feel carefree for the first time in two years. 

In short, earth is beautiful. And I would be lying if I said I didn't spend my first few minutes laughing and running around like a lunatic. 

 The colors were like things I have never seen before. Vibrant and real. I used to think that the colors Clarke used in her drawings were the most beautiful things I have ever seen. But after the whole getting my mother floated and me arrested thing, I found beauty in the walls of my cell. 

 I climbed up the ladder running up the side of the drop ship, and grinned at the sky. It was blue, and the wind tickled my face. I could see forest in all directions, the lush green of the trees overriding my senses slightly. This was it. this was earth. A place I have only seen from space, a place I have only heard about in stories. I saw a mountain peak in the distance, and a frown tugged at the sides of my lips. Mountain. The chancellor was saying something about a mountain. That's where the food is... But why would they drop us on the wrong side of the forest? Unless they wanted to just be bitches and make us starve since radiation didn't kill us first.

Some loud yelling from below snapped me out of my trance, and I peered down to the ground. Wells Jaha, the chancellors son, was on the ground, and John Murphy, some kid I met like, twice back on the Ark, was standing over him. I rolled my eyes, swinging down from the top of the Drop Ship and landing on the balls of my feet in between the two. A shot of pain trickled up my ankles, and I almost fell right on my face. Thankfully I didn't, since that would have been ver embarassing. Murphy cursed loudly, stepping back in shock. I couldn't help the smirk that slipped onto my face. 

 "Hey, yeah you know I think it is super cool to beat up someone with only one leg." I gestured to Wells, who was struggling to stand. "But you should probably wait until it is a fair fight. Unless you can only fight someone with one leg, that it." Sarcasm practically dripped from my voice, and Murphy shook his head, his lips curling in distaste. I wasn't exactly the eptimome of indimidation, but I crossed my arms and tried my best to stare him down, mentally making a list of all the insults I could use on this kid. 

 The tension was too thick to even cut with a knife, but Octavia slid in, winking at me flirtatiously, "Hey Nate," she crowed, her hand dusting over my bicep, "save me next."  

 I chuckled awkwardly, definitely blushing like the awkward loser I am as Murphy and his gang dispersed. Bellamy gave his sister a disapproving look, and I heard her chuckle, "what? He's cute." 

 Aw, I'm so honored. 

 "Oh my God." 

 And now I'm not. 

 My eyes lifted up slowly to meet familiar blue ones. Clarke stood in front of me, clutching papers in her hands so tight her knuckles turned white. She looked nearly the exact same she did when we were fifteen, and she stared at me with the exact same expression I saw just before I was arrested. Familiar sparks of anger twisted in my chest just at the sight of her. She turned me in. She got my mother killed.