Chapter 28

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

"Murphy's a murderer, if he didn't do it, I would've!" 

***

The first thing I noticed when we got to camp was how bad it smelled. 

 And then I noticed all of the bodies. 

 My stomach stirred, and my senses all seemed to heighten. It was like all of the dead bodies were watching me, and it was really freaking me out. I jumped over a rock, cursing and ignoring the disapproving look from Abby. 

 "Jesus Christ!" I snapped, using Finn's arm to steady me as I almost tripped over one of the Ark Guard's big bags. "Pick up your shit, guys!" 

 "You know you probably shouldn't be yelling at them," Finn mumbled under his breath, although Phia laughed loudly just to annoy the guard holding her back. I could tell by how dark her eyes were, and how she never laughs. 

 "We'll take it from here," Kane snapped as I tried to walk farther into the camp, holding his hand out like he was warning me. I raised my eyebrows incredulously, pursing my lips. He ordered two of his guards to stay with us, while he would, and I quote, "make sure that it is safe." 

 Pardon? If I wanted to get tazed, I would have reminded Kane that we were the ones who survived here on our own. That we were the ones who had to build a camp from nothing, and thrive. That we were the ones who had to watch people die, and had to fight a goddamn war. We survived here without them, and now they're in charge again? 

We just sat there while the adults did everything, although I was adult enough to be executed on the Ark, but not adult enough to help out? Sorry, I'm super pissed. Finn and I were on our third half-hearten game of rock, paper, scissors, while Bellamy watched in disdain, and Phia stood to the side, staring blankly ahead in front of the guard. 

 "Dude, you switched." I accused, right after Finn changed his rock to scissors. He shook his head. 

 "No, that was just my fist before I finished making the scissors." 

 "Shut up." 

 "We need a stretcher!" Kane yelled from the tent, and my ears perked up, twisting my body so I could look into camp. Bellamy, Finn and I stood up, walking forward at the same time. If they found someone in there, they are our friends. One of the guards shot his arm out, "woah-" 

The three of us shared a look, having a silent agreement, and as soon as the unfamiliar guard deemed that we gave up, we turned and broke into a dead sprint, ducking and pushing through the tunnels leading into camp.  The dirt got into my eyes, so I grimaced an closed them, not opening them until light shone through, and I burst into camp. 

 My mouth dropped open, and my stomach dropped to my feet. The camp was all grey, coated with ash that made it look like it was nighttime. Charred bodies littered around the wasteland, making me grimace deeply as Finn and Bellamy appeared on my side. We seemed to be... alone. 

 "W-Where is everyone?" I asked, my voice seeming to be sucked up by the emptiness of what was previously our camp. The wind blew dust around our feet, like it was preparing to suck us into the earth. When I saw the body resting on the stretcher carried out by the guards.