Chapter 50

CHAPTER FIFTY

CHAPTER FIFTY

"Why am I constantly having to remind you guys that I am not smart?"

***

"No offense, but I don't think that your key-card is working." 

 Bellamy turned his head to give me a hard glare, as Phia sighed obnoxiously and leaned her head back. "Please hurry up, we've been here for decades." 

 "Damn-it-" Bell muttered under his breath, lightly hitting his fist against the wall at the same time I heard a voice from my walkie-talkie. 

 "Nate, Bellamy, come in." 

 "His Raven," I spoke into the device as Bellamy tried swiping his card again, with no success. Just the same dull beeping and the flash of red lights. "Bellamy is trying to kill us." 

 "You missed check-in," Raven's tone was immediately accusatory, "did you find the source of the acid-fog yet?" 

 Bellamy sighed deeply, sounding deeply pissed-off at the electronic when he answered, waving us along and checking over his shoulder when we started to walk, "we're on our way there now. It's taking longer than I thought." 

 "It's taking decades." Phia spoke loud enough for her voice to be heard, and Bellamy rolled his eyes. 

 "Oh, hi there, Phia-" I heard rustling on her end, presumably from papers, and the girl sighed. "I don't know enough to crack from this side yet... You gotta give me something." 

 "I'm working on it." 

 "Let me try," I grabbed the card from his hand before waiting for an answer, and pressed the card against the keypad, swearing under my breath when it just came up red again. Phia pushed me aside lightly, grabbing the card from me. "Maybe you're the problem." 

 "How on Earth would I be the problem?" 

 Alas, when she tried, it also was a fruitless effort, and I stuck my tongue out at the girl, who scowled at the device. "It is broken." 

 "Yeah, no shit." 

 "I was just saying that-" 

 Bellamy stepped in between us to silence our bickering, grabbing the card from Phia and trying to stare into the tinted glass, although we all knew that there was no possible way he could see through it. "Something's wrong." 

 "Yeah, no shit-" 

 "What?" Raven asked from over the walkie-talkie, her tone concerned. I was the one who answered this time, leaning forward so I could talk into Bellamy's walkie-talkie. "The key-card is broken."