Chapter 25

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

"Let's see how many of you payed attention in Earth skills." 

 ***

 We have only been walking for twenty minutes when the group slowed to a stop. I realized a second too late and almost smacked into the back of Monroe, who just so happened to be walking right in front of me. Bellamy reached out and grabbed my arm at the last second, and I flashed him a small smile of thanks. 

 I craned my neck, understanding that Octavia is at the front, and relaxed. I am glad Octavia is leading the group, as she probably could tell when something is going wrong. 

 Maybe that is why we stopped. 

 Before I could say anything, there was a dull thunk from the front of the group, followed by a series of sharp gasps, making me grip my gun so tight my knuckles turned white. It was Jasper that jerked everyone from their frozen state, with two syllables, drawn out to the point it was almost comical. 

 "Grounders!" 

 I was almost knocked over again in the frenzy of screaming campers as everyone tried to get back to camp all at once. I stumbled, but managed to catch my footing. Most people's coordination has improved since coming to Earth, mine got way worse. 

 I managed to catch myself, turning and sprinting in the direction of camp, dodging around campers and trying to push to the front, apologizing quickly when I accidentally hit someone with my rifle. I got to the gates, huffing and doubling over to take a second to catch my breath. I reached over to grab the rope and pulled the heavy doors open, giving everyone a chance to run back in. I darted through and jumped up so I could peer over the edge of the wall and direct my gun to the woods. There was no movement once the last of the campers filed through, and Bellamy popped up beside me, gazing through the scope of his gun near the same spot I was looking. 

 "It's still," I muttered, as Clarke came up behind me and squinted into the forest. Her eyebrows furrowed, "something isn't right." She mumbled, and I nodded in agreement, turning so I could trade a look with Bellamy. 

 "Lincoln said the scouts would be the first to arrive." Clarke turned, dropping to the ground next to Octavia and Jasper. The girl's face was stony, her arms crossed. She looked like an entirely different person than the girl who chased butterflies when we first got here. 

 "If it's just scouts we can fight our way out... that's what Lincoln would do." 

 "We're done doing what that Grounder would do," Bellamy retaliated as we lowered our weapons and dropped to the ground, I dusted off my pants, running a nervous hand through my hair. "We tried it and now Drew is dead," he narrowed his eyes, "you wanna be next?"

 "That Grounder saved our lives countless times," Finn shot back, annoyance lacing his tone.  He turned back to Clarke, obviously done dealing with Bellamy, "I'm with Octavia... for all we know there could be one scout out there." 

 "One scout with freakishly good aim-" I added my input quickly, pointing out the obvious. "That one scout could still pick us off unless we find where they're stationed." 

 "Clarke, we can still do this-" Octavia pressed, although Clarke and Bellamy were both staring at me. I raised my hands in the air, wondering if I did something wrong.