Chapter 33

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

"Stay stubborn, bitches."  

 ***

 "Mel?" 

 I guess Sterling's eyesight was better than mine, because apparently he could make out who the girl was from here. Murphy's face pinched. "You know her?" 

 "Shut up, Murphy she's my friend!" The small boy snapped, and I fought a smirk off of my face, I think I like this kid. "We have to do something." 

 Finn gestured for Bellamy and I to come closer, and I reluctantly obliged, crossing my arms and already knowing what he was going to say. "We can't stay." 

 "This isn't a Grounder, Finn... we have a rope." Bellamy pointed out, and I nodded my agreement. If it was Monty down there, we wouldn't even be having this conversation because I would have already been climbing down the damn cliff. 

 "You saw her," he hissed as another cry came from below, I clenched my eyes shut and tried to block out the sound, "she'd never be able to hold on to it." 

 "What would you do if that was Raven?" I asked, "or Clarke?" 

  His eyes narrowed into dangerous slits, and his arms crossed tightly across his torso, "we'll come back for her." 

 I chuckled dryly, no humor in my voice at all. "Damn-it, Finn! You expect her to hold on that long? We don't even know it we will come back this way!" 

"We're moving out!" 

 At first, I didn't think I heard him right. Bellamy was who spoke, right? Who announced that we would just be leaving this girl hanging on for her life. "Bellamy!" I knocked his arm with the underside of my knuckles, and glared at him when he turned around. "If that was Octavia would we just be moving on? Tell me, if I was down there, would you just leave me to die?" 

"Do you realize how different that is?" He retorted, his lips drawing into a tight line. I shook my head. 

 "Different for you-" 

 "Hey, I'd hate to break up this moment," Murphy began, popping up from seemingly nowhere, his tone hinted with amusement. "But Sterling is climbing down the cliff." 

My neck whipped in the direction of the cliff so fast I was surprised my head didn't fly right off of my head, and I rushed to peer over the edge. Sterling had tied one end of the rope around a thick tree trunk, the other firmly around his waist. I didn't have time to stop him, as he was already halfway to Mel by the time I processed what was happening. "Well damn." 

 "Seems like he's heard one too many of your motivational speeches," Murphy quipped, and I almost laughed out loud. 

 "Shut up, Murphy." Bellamy fired back, exasperation lacing his tone. 

 A loud scream from below made me jump, fear spiking at my organs and making my stomach flutter. I glanced over the edge, just in time to see the rope give way, and Sterling plummet down the cliff.  

 "I can't let any of you get hurt anymore, not because of me, not because of what I did."

It wasn't the words that made me turn around, it was the haunted tone in her voice when she said them. "Charlotte, wha-"