Chapter 17

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Well you killed me! So I think I win here!" 

***

 "Okay, so let me get this straight." I began, tripping over a branch and swaying slightly. My head was still pounding dimly, but it wasn't bad. "You're taking me to this bridge, and I am supposed to be the victim that is saying I am cool with being killed." 

 "Yes," Clarke looked distracted, glancing behind us every few moments. She left Finn at the bridge with Octavia and the Grounder... I am honestly super confused what that dude did... he stabbed Finn, Bellamy tortured him, Octavia helped him escape, and now they're like... together? What is happening? 

 "What's the Grounder's name again?" 

 "Lincoln." 

 I nodded, pursing my lips and clearing my throat as the bridge came into view. Lincoln was standing with Octavia wrapped in his arms, and my whole body tensed. This is weird, I don't like it. 

 Finn ran up to us almost immediately, and grabbed Clarke hand and raised it when Lincoln shot her a stiff look. His eyes flashed in my direction, and recognition flashed in them. I knew why. I was the kid who walked up, minutes from death, threw up, and then called the guy who was torturing him stupid. I hope that is enough to get me on his good side.

 The sound of sharp footsteps approached, and multiple large animals emerged from the forest. If not for the riders on their backs, I would have grinned. Horses. I have only heard about them in stories. They're gorgeous, and super tall, with pitch-black manes that blended in with identical bodies. Best of all, they aren't mutated! 

 "Oh my God!" Clarke turned to me, her eyes lighting up as she grabbed my am and pointed, "horses!" 

 "I know." We began walking to the center of the bridge, where a woman on a horse was waiting. She had long, auburn hair, and a hard face marked with dark patterns. Beside her, on the ground, was a girl. 

 I almost whined aloud. They brought the girl who beat me up? That is making this so much harder!

 She gave me a devilish grin, her features light, but her hair short and dark as night. I managed a sarcastic smile in return, and stuck my middle finger up behind my back.

 "Hey, we said no weapons!" Finn demanded, coming up behind us and pointing accusingly at the Grounder comrades. They were all armed, with either spears or swords. I found myself unconsciously wincing. 

 "I was told there wouldn't be." It was the first time I heard Lincoln's voice, and it was a lot higher than I originally anticipated. 

"Well, too late for that." I mumbled, trying to hide the fact that a small blade nestled in my boot, out of sight. 

 "They go alone." Lincoln told Finn, and I gave him a curt nod as Clarke and I took a few steps forward until we were face-to-face with the two scary Grounder-ladies. 

 As I got closer, I realized they had identical facial markings, and they were both shorter than me. Their expressions, and clothing, were enough to tell me that I had no upper hand in this situation though. 

 "You are Clarke, you are Nathaniel." She didn't phrase it as a second, and her voice was sharp yet strangely musical. 

 "Yes. I am Clarke, this is Nathaniel."