Chapter 16

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"You poisoned me, asshole!" 

***

Chancellor Jaha looks the exact same as I remember. Close-cropped dark hair, eyes so brown they look black, and clear, dark skin. Just like Wells. His gravely voice sent spikes of anger up my chest, but I clenched my teeth to keep it in. I have been pardoned for my crimes... Bellamy, hasn't. But he will, because I am not leaving this room until he is safe from death-by-Jaha. 

 The screen is flickering with static, and we were all squeezed together on two chairs that we scrounged up from the Drop Ship. His eyes narrowed when he saw me, and I flashed him a sassy grin and two thumbs-up. 

 "Mister Blake, I have waited some time to see you." 

 "Okay, can I say something?" I cut in, and Clarke and Jaha rolled their eyes in almost perfect unison. I still don't have a shirt, and was shivering slightly from the cool air. "You sent us down here, with the main idea that we would all die." I began, wringing my hands together with my nerves. "But, somehow, most of us are still alive, and I think we have Bellamy to thank for that." I cleared my throat nervously. "He knows stuff about weapons that none of us do." 

 "Yeah, and with the guns we need him now more than ever." Clarke jumped in, giving me an encouraging smile. 

 "Yes, exactly, guns..." My voice trailed off, and I jumped back into conversation mode as soon as I realized. "My point is, he might be a huge pain in the ass, but he's an important pain in the ass, and he's one of us... and deserves to be pardoned for his crimes as well." 

 "Nathaniel, Clarke-" his voice glitched, going up an octave, and then down back, due to the bad reception. "I appreciate your very... interesting point of view, but it is simply not that simple." 

 "It is." Bellamy jumped in, shifting as he was squished between Clarke and I. "If you want to know who on the Ark wants you dead." 

 We fell into silence for a minute, my heart racing so fast I was sure they could hear it. The chancellor looked down, and then back up at us. I thought I saw Clarke's lips curve into a smile, but she turned her head before she could see. 

 "Bellamy Blake you are pardoned for your crimes." 

 I released a breath that I didn't know I was holding, and my shoulders sagged in relief. A grin spread across Bellamy's bloody face,  a smile of pure happiness that made my heart jolt. 

 "Now." Jaha's voice was stern, like he was scolding us for information, "tell me who gave you that gun." 

***

"Unity juice!" An exuberant grin covered Jasper's face as he ran from the Drop Ship, a large jug of liquid above his head. "Who's thirsty?" 

 He was met with yells of appreciation from the delinquents, as he was swarmed for the alcohol. I stood of to the side, rubbing my arms. It was cold, and I was more grateful then ever that Raven found me a long-sleeved shirt. It was a little tight, but it worked. 

The chancellor's voice echoed around the camp, but nobody was listening. It was Unity Day, and apparently the way we do it on the ground is underage drinking.