Chapter 47

CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

"What am I gonna steal there? Rabbits?"

***

"We're going to be late for class now, you prick!"

 I laughed, winking at my best friend as she finally shoved me through the door. Clarke huffed, pulling her bag up on her shoulder and shoving mine into my stomach, with more force than a thirteen year old girl should be able to apply. I stuck my tongue out at the girl, "I take offense to that statement." 

 "It was supposed to be offensive!" The blonde's cheeks were coated a light pink as we grinned politely at a guard walking past us, before hurrying our pace so we could make it to Earth Skills. 

 "Earth Skills is pointless anyway! It's not like we're ever actually going to know this stuff!" 

 Clarke turned to give me a stern look, "we want to go to Earth, Nate." 

 I waved her off, "blah, blah. What would I even be able to steal there? Rabbits?" 

 "You can't steal rabbits, you idiot." 

I mock-gasped, turning to Clarke and putting my hand to my chest. She crossed her arms, already knowing where this was going. "Excuse me? Was that a challenge, young Griffin?" 

 The teasing glint came back to Clarke's eyes as she relaxed, seeing that we were not actually going to be late for class. She playfully nudged my shoulder with her own, once again reminding me that we weren't far apart in height. "Shouldn't be hard for the best thief on the Ark." 

 I grinned, "that's still my favorite nickname you have ever given me." 

 "I have a talent." 

 When I laughed that time, it caused me to loose my balance, accidentally stumbling over my feet and bumping right into a guard. Clarke froze, her eyes widening to the point it was almost comical. I wasn't half as worried as my friend. I was never a big stickler for the rules, and I know that a clumsy teenager won't be tazed for no reason. I looked up, only relaxing further when I saw that the guard was young. Well, not exactly young, but young for a guard. In fact, he is probably only seventeen or eighteen- in training. He looked down at me, his eyes half-obscured by messy, dark brown curls. 

 I gave him a sheepish smile, internally praying that he didn't hear our conversation, and saluted. "Sorry." 

 "Sorry, officer." Clarke corrected, shooting me a stiff glare as she lightly pulled me away from the confused looking guard. "We just weren't looking where we were going." 

 The officer smiled, his dark eyes twinkling. "No problem, get to class." He said, his voice deceivingly deep as he nodded in the direction of our classes. I saluted again when I couldn't find anything else to do, and cursed quietly when Clarkes strong pull almost made me loose my footing again. 

 We were gone, and I didn't see that guard again for a very long time. 

***