Chapter 41

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE

"Yay, murder.. fun." 

***

I have never been more terrified in my entire life. 

 The two girls next to me looked nothing but composed as we walked through the Grounder camp. People were milling around, all wearing armor and donning war-paint. War-paint... well damn that's a good sign. 

 We were flanked by an assortment of Grounders as they lead us to see their commander. Phia was getting a lot of looks, and I didn't miss when she outstretched her hand to high-five a girl who couldn't be older than thirteen. We were approaching the biggest of their tents, when one of the guards, a man with a bushy beard, leaned in to whisper to us in a threatening tone. 

 "If you so much as look at her the wrong way, I will slit your throats."

 Phia snorted, as my face visibly paled. "Right, cool... that's, uh, that's nice." 

 Their commander was like Phia: Young, female, and terrifying as hell. She sat on a makeshift throne, a knife held in between her thin fingers. Her head was down, a waterfall of brunette hair partially covering her face. She looked up at us, and I swallowed. War paint decorated her face, her piercing eyes boring into us. 

 "You're the one who killed three-hundred of my people." 

 "You're the one who sent them to kill us." 

 Wow... we're off to a great start!

 "Phia," the commander stood, pushing her knife down so it embedded itself into the chair. I grimaced. "You seem to have had an interesting experience with the sky people." 

 "They saved my life."

 Even I was surprised by the hostility in her voice. Phia was glowering at the commander, looking like she would like nothing more than to take that knife and shove it in her counterparts neck. "Lexa." She added, a coy smirk twisting onto her face, like the name was an insult in it's own. 

 "Natrona!" A dark-skinned woman in the corner suddenly snapped, her own tattoo's making me uneasy. 

 "I am no traitor, Indra." 

 "I say differently." Lexa, I am assuming that is her name, said, walking forward until she was eye-to-eye with Phia. Everyone in the room was watching with held-breaths. I wish that Phia could have saved her hostility for later, but nope. 

 "I should be Heda," she whispered, her voice so low I could barely hear. A small smile quirked at Lexa's lips, and I was briefly taken back to the bridge, when Phia stood behind Anya. "Anya trained me." 

 "Anya, is dead." Lexa shot back, making Clarke stiffen. I silently willed Phia to not do anything stupid, which was a refreshing change, since I am usually the one being stupid. Every muscle in her body was tensed, and we all waited an excruciating few moments, before she muttered something in Trigedaesleng under her breath, and took a step toward me. Her hands were shaking, but that was otherwise the only sign that she was mad. 

 "Do you have an answer for me, Clarke and Nathaniel of the Sky People?"  

I cleared my throat, eyeing the woman in the corner, who had her sword in her hand. "Uh, yeah, we have an offer."