Chapter 37

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

"Is walking illegal now?" 

***

"Dear God-" I muttered, when my feet stumbled for the millionth time since we have gotten here. 

"You know, Nathaniel, it is handy to step over the roots when you come to them." 

 Octavia snickered at Phia's words, the two looking like scary Grounder cousins with their braids and clothing. "He'd trip even if there wasn't any roots."

 I gave her a sarcastic grin, not knowing how I feel about Phia and Octavia actually getting along. They seem to have similar liking's... making fun of me. Bellamy was silent, although his lips were pulled in a tight smirk, and his curls were hanging in front of his face. 

 "According to Clarke, there were buildings everywhere here before the bombs." He explained, his hand reaching up and pushing me back when I almost tripped again. I blushed, muttered a quiet "thanks," and wondering how I can move so quietly when I want too, but when I'm not thinking a shift in the wind can send me sprawling.  "I'm guessing one of them has access to the bunkers, so we're looking for ruins, anything man-made, okay?" 

I gave him the 'okay' signal with my fingers, and adjusted the hat that Raven had stolen for me on my head. I like hats, they conceal how terrible my hair is, and this one matches my jacket. Octavia said something to Phia that made her laugh, and they veered off in a different direction. 

 "Hey, Masteron! Blake!" 

 I rolled my eyes without meaning too, and rotated my neck so I could glance at the guard who called. It was 'officer' Scott. I knew that because one time on the Ark I kept stealing his pens until it slowly drove him crazy. "Let's go, right now." 

 These guys are so annoying. They treat us like we are children who need babysitting, purposely forgetting that they didn't think we were kids when they sent us down to die. I also think it is hilarious that there is three guards sent here, mainly for the sole purpose of watching us. That signifies that they know we're not stupid, at least. 

 "We're not under your command, anymore." Bellamy crossed his arms, and I gave Scott a sarcastic grin. 

 "Unless you have forgotten."

 Scott's nostril's flared, "don't make me do this the hard way." 

 "I'm sorry," I held my hands up in an effort to annoy him further, "but in-case there is a new law I don't know about, we're just walking, and that is not illegal." 

 "Plus, forty-seven of our people are prisoners in that mountain," Bellamy's voice sounded much more authoritative than Scott's, and I could tell it made him uncomfortable.  

 "That is why we're out here-"  

 "Actually, you're out here to find the other Ark stations," I crossed my arms indignantly, "we're here to find our friends." 

 "You guys-" Octavia cut in to our one-sided argument, her gaze fixated on the ground. I glanced down, and almost jumped on Bellamy's back when I saw beetles, hundreds of them, scuttling past us in a swarm. Phia looked over at me, her expression neutral, while I was sure mine was coiled into one of disgust. 

 "What are they doing?" The officer asked, walking so close I just had to slip the pen out of his pocket. 

 It was Bellamy who answered, "running."