Chapter 40

CHAPTER FORTY

 "Don't run from your feelings, Sunshine!"  

***

 Lincoln was alive. 

Currently unconscious, previously screaming in agony and trying to kill everyone, but alive. 

 I consider that a win. 

 I straightened out a roll of bandages, ripping off a piece with my teeth, and handing it to Clarke, who continued to patch up Lincoln. I heard the door to the Drop Ship open, and then Bellamy's eyes widening as he reached for his gun and aimed it at the door. 

 I turned around, watching as Octavia and a large man clambered through the entrance. The man had a long, bushy beard and braids running down the neck of his neck. Familiar tattoo's spiraled up his face and arms. Octavia held out her hand. "Bellamy, don't." She warned, and I watched Phia slowly rise to her feet, apparently the arrival of the new man piquing her interest. "This is-" 

 "Nyko." Phia finished, making the man-Nyko's- eyes drift to her for the first time. Indifference burned in his eyes, as they went through a very scary staring contest. "He is the healer." 

 "Pia," he nodded, and she nodded back. There was a thump from the side, and my eyes widened when I saw Lincoln convulsing again, white froth building up in his mouth. Nyko immediately began ruffling through his bag, withdrawing a small vial and making his way over to us. 

 My senses were on high-alert, but if Nyko could save Lincoln, I knew I had to give him a chance. 

 "Yu gonplei ste odon," he whispered,  and before I knew what was happening, I had darted my hand out to catch the drop of liquid. My heartbeat had sped up, and a headache was beginning to form behind my eyes.  I knew that phrase, I've heard it before... it was what Phia said after that Grounder died. 

 "Yu gonplei ste odon," I repeated under my breath, as Nyko drew his sword, and Bellamy pointed his rifle at him again. I couldn't pay attention, though. I turned to look at Phia. "You said that-- that is what they say when someone dies!" I looked around, disbelief shining through my face. "He wasn't trying to save him!" 

 "He was trying to kill him." Clarke realized, her mouth dropping open. Anger and betrayal clouded over Octavia's eyes, as she jabbed her finger harshly in the man's direction. "Nyko! Is that true?" 

 The Grounder's eyes shot me a harsh look, "yes. Death is the only way." 

 I stared down at Lincoln's still convulsing body, dread filling every inch of my body. I should have known. A hot flash of anger burned through my chest, and I stood up abruptly, wishing I could kick something. "No! There has to be a way!" 

  "None that I have ever seen." Nyko defended, sighing. 

 As if the universe was providing me with something to kick, Finn's head popped into the room. "Hey, we have to go. The camp is loosing." 

 Nyko seemed to have the same idea, as he jumped up as well, fury blazing beneath his dark eyes. "You!" 

 An, 'oh shit' expression passed over Finn's face, but he didn't have time to process his bad decision, as Nyko had yelled out and ran forward, grabbing his neck and slamming him up against the wall, holding him up so his feet could barely touch the ground. I groaned, wishing Finn could have waited a few more minutes to randomly appear.