Chapter 23

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

 "Good riddance ya bitch!" 

***

"Bellamy!" 

 I don't think my voice has ever been that loud before, loud and terrified. In one swift movement, I cut the rope off of my other wrist, ignoring the way the knife lightly dug into my skin, and ran forward, not even noticing Murphy until he slammed the gun into my gut, making pain blossom in my stomach as I flew back, hitting the ground and knocking all of the air from my lungs. 

 I gasped, my chest burning and my throat closing for a moment, I turned on my side, trying to force air back into my painful lungs. I looked up just in time to see Murphy pin Bellamy's arms to his sides, his usually tanned skin turning a frightening shade of purple. 

 I struggled to my feet, brandishing my knife and swinging it at Murphy, barely nicking his right arm. Bellamy gurgled, but when I tried to get to him, Murphy body-slammed me back to the ground. 

 I thought I was dreaming when the familiar creek of the big doors opening, and light cutting into my line of vision. Murphy swore under his breath, cowarding and immediately fleeing the scene. I gasped, climbing back up to my feet, stumbling over to Bellamy and wrapping my arms around his legs, lifting him up so he could suck in a strangled breath, discarding my weapon on the floor. Octavia ran over, jumping for the latch, but missing the first time, due to her short height, but managing to snag it the second time, and making my knees buckle as I struggled to lower him to the ground, catching his head before it could hit the hard ground. 

 The rope loosened around his neck, so I pulled at it until the knot gave way, releasing his head from it's restraints. I gasped in relief when he opened his eyes, raising a hand to his throat. "Come on, Blake, just breath," I urged, placing my hand next o his head and staring down at him like I was trying to use the force to make him better. "It's okay, it's okay." 

 I just kept repeating that as Bellamy sucked air back to his lungs, but eventually, something else caught my attention. I stood up, stalking over to the ladder and pushing at the hatch that wouldn't budge. "Come out of there, Murphy!" I yelled, pounding on the door, "there is only one way out of this for you, and it should've happened a long time ago!" 

 I continued pounding on the door, until an earsplitting explosion came from above, rocking the Drop Ship, and almost making me fall had I not been holding onto the top rung. I pushed at the door again, and this time it gave way. I climbed through the top, dreading what would meet my eyes. 

 A gaping, smoke filled hole had been blasted out of the Drop Ship, gunpowder floating around, intermingling with the smoke. I, careful of the various objects littering the floor, walked over to the edge, and peered out the whole. It was Murphy, running through the woods. He turned back, giving me a smug smirk, before turning and running back into the safety of the trees. 

 "Let him go." 

 I turned, surprised to see Bellamy standing behind me, his voice was deeper and hoarse, but other then that, he seemed fine. I almost collapsed from relief at that, the image of him swinging on that noose permanently drilled into my mind. "The Grounder's'll take care of him." 

 "You're right," I turned to the forest, raising my voice and hoping the runaway could hear me, "good riddance ya bitch!"