chase It down

You had no intentions of getting this drunk. But here you were against the wall, red solo cup in hand at Ed Sheeran's VMAs after party on the verge of blacking out.

And it was Niall's fault.

Well maybe not directly. But if it weren't for him flirting with some blonde model all night you would likely be a lot more sober than you were right now.

You quickly made your way to the bathroom walking past the two without even acknowledging either of them.

You and Niall may have broken up over a year ago but you were still friends, and he had not acknowledged you all night. The split was amicable with both of you deciding to focus on your careers and not wanting a relationship get in the way.

But even though is was an equal decision it still fucking sucked. After two years together and almost two apart it still hurt seeing him move on as if it meant nothing. But in all truth the split hurt you more than you let on. Niall had always been someone you leant on and now he wasn't able to be there for you. And that was the worst part.

Niall had seen you walk past. He had also seen you down 4 tequila shots and two of Ed's "special drinks". He had been keeping an eye on you all night, wanting to make sure you didn't get hurt or do anything potentially dangerous.

Niall quickly excused himself from the conversation and followed where you went.

As soon as you got to the bathroom all the alcohol had made its way out your throat landing in the white, porcelain toilet bowl. After a minute or two you felt someone behind you holding your hair back.

"You alright love"

His accent danced through ears and sounded like heaven. It was at this point you started crying. You weren't sure why but it came out and you were too inebriated to stop the tears from flowing.

"Hey. shhh, It's okay. Shh"

You had stopped puking and the crying had mostly subsided.

"Why don't I take you home?" He asks, rubbing your back.

"Ok"

He helped you stand up and led you through the party to the front food where a car was waiting for the two of you. After helping you in the car Niall told the driver your address and you rested your head on his shoulder.

"Where's your girlfriend?" You ask closing your eyes as it hurts too much to keep them open at the moment.

"Girlfriend?"

"That blonde you were with all night"

"Kacey?"

"I don't know her name'

"She's not my girlfriend"

"Coulda fooled me" you say under your breath head pounding.

"What do you mean?"

"You were with her all night. You didn't even know I was there until I was vomiting in the bathroom"

"That's not true"

"You never even said hi"

"I Didn't know if we were at that point"

"You didn't think we were at the point of saying hi but were at the point of you holding my hair back and bringing me home?"

"Okay maybe my logic is somewhat flawed in this situation. But I saw how much you drank and there was no way I was gonna leave you." He kissed the top of my head as we reached my apartment complex.

Niall helped you out of the car and told his driver he'd give him a call when he should come back.

You two got in the elevator and pressed the button of your floor arriving at your front door after only a few minutes. Niall followed you inside and grabbed a bottle of water from your fridge as you laid down on the couch.

"Here" He says, handing you the bottle and sitting down on the coffee table in front of you.

"Thanks," you say, sitting up and drinking half of it, making him laugh. "What?"

"I forgot how big your eyes get when you're drunk"

"Shut up" you say with a laugh

"No, it's cute. You're cute"

"I just puked my brains out and cried a river. And you think I'm cute?"

"You're always cute"

"Mr. Horan are you flirting with me?"

"Have been since the day I met you" The room grew quiet with neither of you knowing what to say next.

"You should get to bed" He says standing up and reaching his hand out to you. You take it with a small smile and go to your bedroom.

You sit down on the bed while he gets you pajamas and then bends down to take off your heels.

"I can do that, Niall"

"It's fine"

You then went into the bathroom to get dressed as Niall got you another water bottle and made you cinnamon toast.

"Thanks" you say taking a bite

"No problem" he says with a smile.

"You gonna go back to the party?"

"Probably not, it was slowing down anyway" The party was in fact not slowing down and Niall's phone was in his pocket quietly buzzing with messages telling him to get back as soon as possible. "besides I'd rather hang out with you"

"I'd rather hang out with you too" You say smiling with cinnamon stick to your lips causing Niall to smile back and let out a small laugh.

And that's how you spent the night. Eating cinnamon toast in a T-shirt Niall had left at your place years ago and very randomly picked it out for you to wear. And it was one of the best things you could ask for.