Friends

Friends.
It was a word that used to be used to describe the two of them, back when things were simpler, back when they weren't fucking each other behind closed doors back when everything made sense and their feelings stayed hidden. But now friends didn't seem like the right word to describe what was going on.

She stood in front of the mirror adjusting her dress when he came up behind her and Began kissing her neck causing her to smile

"We're gonna be late" she said as he
continued

"Don't care" he said wrapping his arms around her

"Well, all your producers might" she responded with a laugh causing him to stop kissing and rest his head on her shoulder.

"You look beautiful" he said stepping back and looking at her, causing her to smile at him in the mirror. But it wasn't long before her smile fell and she turned to look at him.

"What is this?" she asked looking into his deep blue eyes "what are we?"

His smile faltered as he stared Back at her. He wasn't sure what they were either, but he knew whatever it was he liked things just the way they were.

"We're friends" is all he said as her eyes burned into him.

"We're not just friends and you fucking know it" she said to him as they just looked at each other "so what are we?"

"I don't know...why so we have to label it" he said finally expressing his thoughts "why can't we just be two people who enjoy each others company"

"Because I want more than that Niall" she said so him as tears began to build inside " I want to be more than just a secret hookup to you"

"We both knew what this was when we started, neither if us wanted anything serious" he said as her the pools of honey in her eyes began to glimmer with her own sadness.

"Then we should stop before things get too serious" she said as she continued staring at him falling deeper into his bright blue eyes.

And then she walked away.

He knew he fucked up. He knew he should go after her. But he didn't. He instead stepped into the shiny black car waiting for him outside and made his way to the dinner. Alone.