Dilemmas

3rd Person POV

"Earth and water might impede our escape... but the sky is free! Even here in the darkest depths, there remains a spark of hope."

"These are... my wings? With these wings... can I fly freely in the sky?"

"Icarus, listen to me. Freedom can addle the mind. Arrogance can lead to death."

The rehearsal of "The Wings of Icarus" took place in the theater of a luxury ship. There was a few audiences in the dark theater, watching the whole rehearsal, and only an audience that sat at the back row of the theater, she was Chabashira Sae, the homeroom teacher of the Class D. Her student, (L/N) (Y/N), joined her in the dark theater. Apparently, the teacher called him to meet her in here.

(Y/N) then sat next to Chabashira.

(Y/N): This feels like a waste of taxpayer money.

Chabashira: A few days ago, a certain man contacted the school. "Expel (L/N) (Y/N)," he said.

(Y/N): I wonder what that could mean. I don't know who that person was, but you know you can't expel someone without a reason.

He replied calmly.

Chabashira: Naturally. So long as you're a student here, the rules will protect you. Of course, if you cause any trouble, that's another matter altogether.

He stared at the teacher for a while before replying.

(Y/N): Sorry to inform you, but unlike the arrogant Icarus, I don't pick fights with the sun.

Chabashira: Your intentions aren't a factor. If I decide you're a problem, that's what you are.

(Y/N): Are you threatening me?

Chabashira: I'm offering a trade. If you will attempt to reach Class A, I'll cover for you, unilaterally. A good deal, don't you think?

(Y/N): It's out of the question.

(Y/N) stood up and prepared to leave.

Chabashira: Then I'm afraid, (L/N)...

He stopped his track.

Chabashira: You're going to be expelled and lose your freedom.

(Y/N) then grabbed the collar of Chabashira's suit. Somehow, he was shown with anger expression to the teacher for the first time. The teacher, however, was not flinched by his outburst.

(Y/N): You call yourself a teacher?

Chabashira: Make your decision now. Will you try for Class A, or be expelled?

The light on the stage was dimmed, indicating the end of the rehearsal. (Y/N) released his grip and regained his composure.

(Y/N): You may come to regret trying to manipulate me.

Chabashira: Don't worry about that. My life is already full of regret.

(Y/N) then exited the theater and walked to the deck of the ship and leaned on the railing.

(Y/N): 'Throw away my freedom to protect my freedom...'

The sea breeze of the night was calming, but not enough to quell (Y/N)'s unease.

...

(Y/N)'s POV

The endless summer sea. The infinite blue skies. The perfectly clear air. Here, in the midst of the Pacific Ocean, we didn't feel the intense midsummer heat, and the gentle sea breeze kissed our bodies. Yes, this really was an oceanic paradise.