The Turning Point

Horikita's POV

Roughly an hour has passed since Sudou-kun left. If the programme has progressed smoothly then they should be on the cusp of the final contest right about now. The hole left behind by Sudou-kun isn't small by any measure. I can imagine Hirata-kun and the others putting up a good fight but I can't expect much in the way of results.

I was helpless. I could do absolutely nothing except stand around in a pointless daze. I then brought out the bracelet that (Y/N)-kun... threw it on the ground. I wiped off the dirt on it and looked at my reflection on the shiny silver ornaments.

Horikita: 'I looked pathetic... This must be how (Y/N)-kun felt about me.'

Come to think of it, (Y/N)-kun had been exceptionally cold towards me ever since the beginning of the sport festivals. He must've realized something's wrong with myself. Instead, I was blinded by my self-righteousness attitude. I couldn't see the bigger picture of the whole incident. That's why I was easily trapped by Ryuuen-kun's well-spun spider web.

Sudou-kun may be reckless, but he's the person who tried his very best to lead Class D to emerge victorious in this event. Both two of us were practically the same. Sudou-kun's trying to gain attention and earn some respects from the others, he want to show to everyone that he can be as reliable as Hirata-kun in this sport festivals. As for me, I've been trying so hard to gain my brother's acknowledgement. I thought that, if I could participate in tons of competitions, he would stop and look at me. In the end, both Sudou-kun and I are just pursuing the same thing, approval.

Horikita: 'Sigh. I'd disappointed him... Not only (Y/N)-kun, but Sudou-kun, everyone in Class D, and brother.'

I then kept the (Y/N)-kun's bracelet back into my pocket and continued to wait for Sudou-kun. I believed Sudou-kun would come back. Despite the fact that Class D's defeat was practically set in stone, I wanted to do whatever I could. That's all there is to it. And then, that feeling paid off.

Sudou: D-Did you seriously stick around?

Horikita: You finally came back, Sudou-kun.

I maintained my composure but deep down inside, I was glad. Really glad.

Sudou: Isn't it already over? The sports festival, I mean.

Horikita: Perhaps. But if we go back now, we may still be in time for the last competition.

The outcome for the Class D is bleak. My injury, Kouenji-kun's absence, and Sudou-kun withdrew halfway through it. All leads to the current situation for the Class D. But even so, if I could bring back Sudou-kun and catch up with the last event, there's still a turning point for Class D.

Horikita: Since you've come all the way back here, I assume this means you feel like going back to the competition?

Sudou: Nah. I just came here to check if you're still here or not...

Horikita: I see. I've been sorting out various thoughts in my head while waiting an hour for you. What kind of person I am, what kind of person you are... Actually, we're similar, after all. You and I.

Sudou: We have nothing in common. You and I are just too different.

Horikita: No. You and I are similar. The more I think about it, the more I feel that way.

This isn't a lie. These are words from the bottom of my heart.

 These are words from the bottom of my heart